Strawberry Wasc Cake?

Decorating By Ninabeth19 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 12:11am by SANZ

Ninabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninabeth19 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 18

A friend wants me to make her a chocolate and strawberry cake. I thought about doing the WASC recipe and using strawberry extract instead of almond. Has anyone tried this before? Or does anyone else have any ideas of combing the two flavors and still having a white frosting on the outside?

17 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:31am
post #2 of 18

I made a strawberry version of WASC cake by using DH strawberry cake mix and strawberry extract. It was very good!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:56am
post #3 of 18

Any flavor cake and matching flavoring will work in my *original* WASC recipe.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #4 of 18

So you are wanting to do a chocolate cake mix and add strawberry extract... I would replace all the flavors (vanilla and almond) with strawberrry and replace half of the water with strawberry daquri mixer (just pureed strawberries in liquid) or some strawberry flavored milk.... that way you are sure to taste the undertones of strawberry. Sounds good!

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:19am
post #5 of 18

And you can still use white icing just do a crumb coat and let it set before adding the final thicker coat

Ninabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninabeth19 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 18

She said she wanted it to tast like chocolate covered strawberries. I think I'm going to make a WASC chocolate cake and use vanilla extract and use some frozen strawberries for part of the water.... maybe even add some strawberry extract to the IMBC... i don't think that would make it pink, would it?

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 18

I think it will tint the SMBC pink.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 18

I used some strawberry puree (Finest Call) in place of the water. (it is stuff that is used for strawberry cocktails) It worked out really well, and it wasn't an "artificial" strawberry taste.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 18

I used some strawberry puree (Finest Call) in place of the water. (it is stuff that is used for strawberry cocktails) It worked out really well, and it wasn't an "artificial" strawberry taste.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 18

sounds yummy, I want to try

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 18

Hi -

This link offers different versions of the WASC cake. In particular they list berry flavors. It tells you how to modify.

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

Good luck...Sounds good!

Jeanene

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 18

I use the WASC recipe with strawberry cake mix and add cheesecake pudding mix.

It gets tons of raves when I marble it together with WASC using all vanilla extract. I guess the white and strawberry together make it less sweet and more strawberries-and-cream'ish.

For chocolate covered strawberry add mini-chocolate chips and a fudge filling!

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 18

I would think that adding strawberry flavoring, however you decide to do it, to a chocolate cake would cause you to lose the two flavors...particularly the strawberry. I would instead try a chocolate cake with a strawberry filling/icing or strawberry cake with chocolate filling/icing.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

I use the WASC recipe with strawberry cake mix and add cheesecake pudding mix.

So do you use only one box of the pudding mix, and two boxes of the strawberry cake mix? And do you add any extra liquids since you are adding more dry ingredient? I would like to try your version....it sounds yummy....just want to make sure I do it right!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #15 of 18

I just add one box of pudding, otherwise it's overly moist (if you can imagine such a thing!). I keep liquids the same. I do, however, use 2 c vanilla coffee creamer and 2/3 c water, rather than all water.

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #16 of 18

Let me jump in with this - I'm doing a cake this weekend. I wanted to do a lemon cake with raspberry mousse or a raspberry cream cheese filling - can i use WASC, replace the vanilla/white cake mix with lemon and add a box of lemon pudding? I don't want this to be an overbearing of lemon - something suttle but delicious.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #17 of 18

Yes, my *original* WASC recipe can be used with any flavor cake mix. You don't need to add pudding but since you will be adding flour, sugar etc I guess it would not be overbearing on the flavor. Do add vanilla flavoring to it. Maybe a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of vanilla and lemon extract.....again so you don't make it over the top lemon tastingicon_smile.gif

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #18 of 18

Thank you so much - I love this site and everyone on it. You're the best! Now if I could just have you all right around the corner from me - life would be great! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%