Crusting Bc ?

Decorating By lilahcakes Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm by DsLady614

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 12

why would you use this instead of regular buttercream? What are the differences between the two?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 12

You mean crusting buttercream isn't "regular"? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

Easy to smooth, make flowers, roses, borders, stringwork. It's still soft on the inside, so the roses are nice and edible.

I can't imagine using any other kind on wedding cakes.

lilahcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 12

so is the consistensy the main difference? Is it only used for decoration and not icing the cake?

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 12

I use my one single icing recipe for everything. It's the only icing I've used for 25 years for everything single thing that I do on a cake. For years, I was under the impression that it was the ONLY icing that everyone in the world used on wedding cakes! icon_lol.gif When my friend gave me the recipe, she told me it was wedding cake icing and I took her literally!

I had to cut a wedding cake that didn't use a crusting icing once. Geesh, I hated that! It was sticky and gooey and with the center dowel rod down the center, it was difficult to disassemble without making a mess on my fingers. I finally told the family member, who was helping, "Ok... we're not going to worry about keeping it pretty. With this gooey icing, it's just going to be messed up, no matter what we do." The actual cutting was a nightmare .. sticky, gooey icing all over the cake knife so the knife had to be cleaned off after every cut, which means it took 6 times as long to cut the cake.

The experience just made me love my icing that much more!

lilahcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 12

Oh thanks!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

lilahcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 12

Ok, I got your recipe from cc, Im gonna try it!! Thanks!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 12

Indydebi, which crusting bc recipe do you use? There are several on cc.
Thanks.

cutthecake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you for the recipe.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 12

I love crusting buttercream...It makes your icing more smooth..you can play with it more..
Edna

cutthecake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks. I was using "crusting butercream" for my search and didn't know which it was.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 12

Serious Cakes here on CC has a great recipe also. Tried it for the first time this weekend and I am now a HUGE fan of crusting buttercream... it's the BOMB!!

What I like most about it is that you can smooth it. I didn't have any Viva paper towels, but tried using a couple napkins and WOW!!! Now I just want to bake another cake and try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%