What A Headache This Cake Was..

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm by Jasmine33

FromScratch Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 13

I don't usually post pictures in the forums.. but this cake I just had to vent about.

I had the consult MONTHS ago. I love the bride and her mom and dad who came with her. Great people.. very accomodating and easy going and open to thoughts and just picture perfect clients. She was looking for simple with some sparkle.. so we settled on a 4 tier buttercream cake with chocolate clay ribbon and I (stupidly) said I could make tiny poured sugar gems for the ribbon. Well.. fast forward to cake week and the gems are SUCH a pain to make.. AND they were melting on me.. they are SOOOO small (1/8 of an inch to 3/8 of an inch around) and the humidity is not being good to them. So I spent hours making little gems that just turned into stick blobs. I ended up doing dots of royal and hand painting them with petal dusts and silver dust in vodka. I also ended up making her topper out of gumpaste.. I had to do it thin as the thicker piece I rolled out wasn't drying and it was nail biting to say the least. The first one (the thicker one) broke.. I was up until 4am making the thinner one with my exacto knife and dremmel.

At first I didn't like her (the cake) but now I can see that she ain't so bad. LOL I hope that the bride loved it though.. that's my biggest worry.
LL

12 replies
chutzpah Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 13

Oy my talented seester, that is one lovely cake. What's a dremmel?

alanahodgson Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 13

Jeannem it looks great! The topper is amazing! I'd love some tips on how you did such intricate work on that baby!

Chutzpah,

a dremmel is a small electric rotary tool. It can be a saw, or a a sander or a dozen other things depending on what type of tip you put into it.

I'm curious how you used your dremmel to make that topper. C'mon! give up the goods!

chutzpah Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks Alana, know I know what you're talking about.

tonia3604 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 13

Yes...please share all about what you do with the dremmel!! I bought one for my DH, but I have never used it!!

FromScratch Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks so much.. no idea why the picture didn't come up.. icon_confused.gif

I found the font I wanted and printed it out and cut it out to use as a template.. then I cut it from the gumpaste using an exacto knife and inserted a wire so it could stand up. Then when it dried I used my dremmel tool to smooth out the rough areas.

foxymomma521 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 13

That cake is stunning and I'm sure she loved it!

xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 13

The cakes gorgeous! I'm sure she'll love it too! thumbs_up.gif

CambriasCakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:06am
post #9 of 13

It's beautiful. Well worth your troubles - I'm sure they loved it!!

bashini Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:38am
post #10 of 13

Wow! that is one amazing cake. You should be proud of your self. And thanks for sharing on how to make the topper. icon_biggrin.gif

tamrick Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:55am
post #11 of 13

Very nice cake, and I love the topper!

grama_j Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 13

WOW! You did a FANTASTIC job ! She HAD to have LOVED it !

Jasmine33 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 13

Beautiful cake. I know they loved it! Sorry it was such a pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%