Buttercream Transfer Melting

Decorating By MrsLev557 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 4:21am by apuddin

MrsLev557 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:11am
post #1 of 7

I tried by 2nd attempt at a buttercream transfer - 1st one came out ok I thought, picture in my photo's. I am in So Jersey, it was very hot, humid and rainy with tropical storm Hanna going on. I was trying to make a cake for a friends birthday, she did not no about it so harm done that its now in the trash!!

The 1st 2 attempts would not come off the wax paper, when I took it out of the freezer I tested a corner and it came right off, by the time I flipped it on the cake and tried to pull off the wax paper it had already melted. So I scraped off both of them, on the 3rd attempt at 11pm, I pulled it out and put in right on the cake and pulled...it looked ok...well I got up this morning and it was melted, the black had all blended in to the buttercream around it, it almost looked pitted throughout the middle of it. I was so mad I threw it in the trash...

Today well the DH is watching football, I will be doing searchs on effects of humidity and rain when decorating...

I will chalk the cake up to live and learn, and Thank God she did not no about it - so no harm done!! Maybe I will feel better about it and try again as a belated cake.

Hope everyone made it through Hanna....and hopefully Ike calms down!!

Live & Learn

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 7

okay, I used to live in Gloucester Co. and I know all too well about that stinkin humidity......especially with the hurricanes and such. When you flip it over onto your cake, pop your entire cake into the freezer for like 10-15 minutes, then open the freezer and peel off the wax paper. I had to do that quite a few times living in Jersey!!

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 7

KHalstead, that's a pretty cool idea!! Too simple!! thumbs_up.gif

Juds2323 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #4 of 7

I've never done a bct I've alway just done the pin prick method. I used it for my don, dodger and sunflower seed cakes in my pictures. I pipe the outlines fill it in smooth what I can and then wait for it to crust and use the viva method. This may be an alternative to the transfer method. I have also read that the chocolate transfer works as well as the bct method except it's choc and not soft like bc.

niccicola Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 7

I just did a frozen buttercream transfer last night on a cake. I actually did the image last monday and put it in our deep freezer so that I could be sure it would be absolutely frozen. I had all my cake ready up to the point I needed the cake. My house stays at a cold 72, so i didn't have a problem with humidity. However, my hands were warm, so even that amount of heat quickly thawed the image. As fast as I could, i peeled the wax paper off then put it on the cake, it did break into 3 pieces. I guess i should have put it on the cake first, then pull the wax paper off, but it was my first attempt. I just used tip #1 to pipe a glue line at the break site and it covered it up.

Also, i used parchment paper not wax paper...i don't know if that made a difference, but it really peeled off nicely. I am going to use the buttercream transfer method instead of rice paper. My first attempt with rice paper was a buzz lightyear, and although it turned out nicely, you could tell there was paper (edible or not) on the cake. it looked disgusting. The frozen method was sooo much prettier-it made the image appear flat, you didn't see the joints where my piping met one another. For the frozen buttercream image, i had to do a buzz lightyear, so it was nice to see the same image done 2 different ways.

i know that doesn't help you, but i thought i'd share.

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by niccicola

Also, i used parchment paper not wax paper...i don't know if that made a difference, but it really peeled off nicely.

I've done both and the parchment DOES work much better.

apuddin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #7 of 7

Do your picture on a metal cookie sheet it hold onto the cold longer and try the parchment paper works great. I know how frustrating humidity can be just keep trying good luck in the future. icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%