Help With Huge Bubbles In Cake?!?!

Decorating By sweetsbystacy Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm by HerBoudoir

sweetsbystacy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone.....

I'm new here, and I am new to cake decorating, but after the cake I made today I had to ask for help.

I am doing the "dropping the pan on the countertop" thing several times before putting the cake in the oven thing, but I am ending up with HUGE craters in my cake. I don't notice them until I level the cakes, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. I pound the pan on the counter top a dozen times and I don't get the bubbles!

Any help would be very appreciated!

Stacy

5 replies
 beth2027  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 6

Are you using a box mix, or is it from scratch? I've not ever had that problem with my box mixes, so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

tiggy2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 6

What speed are you mixing on? A high speed will cause air bubbles.

sweetsbystacy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

Hi guys, thanks for responding.

I am using a box mix.....I am using medium speed for 2 minutes, which is what the box says. Should I slow the speed down?

Juds2323  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 6

it could be over mixing. what tipe of mixer are you using? Med speed on a higher end can be to fast for a 2 min mix.

HTH

Judi

HerBoudoir  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 6

Try sifting the box mix before you add the wet ingredients. Once you've sifted it, just stir to mix together - it will come together fairly quickly.

Also, bake fairly quickly after you mix everything together - the leaveners may get a head start on you if you let it sit for too long before getting it in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%