Help With Huge Bubbles In Cake?!?!

Decorating By sweetsbystacy Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm by HerBoudoir

sweetsbystacy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone.....

I'm new here, and I am new to cake decorating, but after the cake I made today I had to ask for help.

I am doing the "dropping the pan on the countertop" thing several times before putting the cake in the oven thing, but I am ending up with HUGE craters in my cake. I don't notice them until I level the cakes, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. I pound the pan on the counter top a dozen times and I don't get the bubbles!

Any help would be very appreciated!

Stacy

5 replies
beth2027 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 6

Are you using a box mix, or is it from scratch? I've not ever had that problem with my box mixes, so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 6

What speed are you mixing on? A high speed will cause air bubbles.

sweetsbystacy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

Hi guys, thanks for responding.

I am using a box mix.....I am using medium speed for 2 minutes, which is what the box says. Should I slow the speed down?

Juds2323 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 6

it could be over mixing. what tipe of mixer are you using? Med speed on a higher end can be to fast for a 2 min mix.

HTH

Judi

HerBoudoir Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 6

Try sifting the box mix before you add the wet ingredients. Once you've sifted it, just stir to mix together - it will come together fairly quickly.

Also, bake fairly quickly after you mix everything together - the leaveners may get a head start on you if you let it sit for too long before getting it in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%