Please...tell Me It Will Be Ok!?

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 1:36am by TJCanadian

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #1 of 4

I made my second stacked cake last night/today.
It was just one 6 inch on one 8 inch. Not high or anything.
I could not find any hidden pillars that were suggested to me, so I just used dowels.
Someone had told me to put parchment under the top tier so that the icing would stay nice when the tier was removed. So, I did that. The tier was on a covered cardboard board. It dawned on me later that I probably should have put some royal icing or something on the parchment, right? I did not. I did stick two dowels all the way through the whole cake. I glued fondant balls to the outside of the top tier.
The dowels on the bottom layer seemed to go to the very top of the bottom layer, and the top tier did not sink in at all. It just sat on top.
How is that not going to shift when she drives??

I put it in a box w/ non-skid foam, and she did not have any room on the floorboard so DH put it in the floor of the back of her van.

She had to drive it home, and then she will drive it to the event tomorrow.
I am just so nervous she will get home and find the top tier sideways and smushed on the bottom of the box!!

Is it going to be a cake disaster?

I have asked so many questions about this cake! Thank you all for being so patient w/ us newbies. I hope one day I can be an experienced baker that helps newbies like me!

3 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #2 of 4

[quote="Mom2ANC"]The dowels on the bottom layer seemed to go to the very top of the bottom layer, and the top tier did not sink in at all. It just sat on top.
How is that not going to shift when she drives??

I'm trying to picture what you mean..... icon_confused.gif It sounds like you did the right thing. You don't want the top tier to sink in to the bottom tier, that's the point of the dowels.....they are there to support the weight of the top tier. You mentioned that you drove 2 long dowel through both tiers so the cake should be fine. You want the dowels in the bottom tier to be at the very top of that tier. I don't think you have any need to worry thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 4

So what happened...did the cake arrive safely?

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 4

I'm dying to know if it made it?? Any word back?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%