What Causes Buttercreme To Bubble Out

Decorating By dustyrusty47 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm by dustyrusty47

dustyrusty47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustyrusty47 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 6

I about choked today when loading up today's wedding cake. There was a bubble as big as a silver dollar sticking out from the side of the cake . Poked it with a pin and used a roller to smooth it down , but within an hour it did it again , Help!!

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like settling issues. Was it a multi-tiered cake? Maybe the supports were shifting. One thing I try to do is after I fill my layer and put the top layer on I wrap it in plastic, press down on it lightly, and place something on top (like a book). I let it sit like this for a few hrs. or even overnite if I can, before icing and decorating. This seems to cut down on airbubbles and stuff like that.

cakelady77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady77 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:23am
post #3 of 6

I have had this problem many times and I have to do exactly what you did. It seems to happen more often when its humid outside. I am very curious to find out how to prevent this as well.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #4 of 6

That happens to me when I frost frozen cakes. The condensation from the thawing cake makes the frosting bubble.

Were your cakes frozen or thawing out at the time you frosted them?

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #5 of 6

I had it happen with a cake I had refrigerated then iced then back into the fridge. When it came to temp the next day I had a bubble in it. That was the only time it happened.

Judi

dustyrusty47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustyrusty47 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 6

`half of one tier was put in the freezer for about 40 minutes to stiffen a little so I could handle it better- that must have been it. Thanks so much. I usually crumb coat and combine the 2 into a tier and refrig for another night before final coat to settle and firm up more. And the middle one I had to rebake one layer at the last day so there you are. thanks everyone.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%