How To Get Longer Working Time From Fondant

Decorating By Birdlady Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm by -K8memphis

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 7

HI ALL.

JUST WONDERING IF ALL OF YOU FELLOW DECORATORS HAVE FOUND ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN WORK IN TO SATIN ICE TO GIVE YOU A LITTLE LONGER WORKING TIME. IT TENDS TO DRY OUT QUICK AND I AM TRYING FOR THE PERFECT FINISH.

THANKS ALL

6 replies
newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like a great question & I'd also like to hear the answer ...... so here's a bump.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:47am
post #3 of 7

If it starts to dry out, I usually just rub my hands with alittle crisco and then work it into the fondant and it usually gets softer.

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 7

I have heard that adding Glyserine is supposed to add more exasticity and keep it from drying out so fast. I have not tried it yet though..

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 7

I too want to know. I covered my GD's purse cake with it and when I went to cut the cake it was hard and I was embarrased. I raved on how it tasted sooo much better than Wiltons icky fondant and they all would like this and then it was hard. How do you cover a cake and keep it soft and pliable.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 7

Just before I my cakes are ready for pick-up or delivery, I steam them with a small clothes steamer I bought just for cakes. The fondant seems to be much softer when you cut it. Just make sure that you do not touch the cake after it's been steamed.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 7

Are you rolling your fondant out on powdered sugar?

I roll mine out on a big food safe plastic sheet so it stays nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%