I've Just Hit The Recipe Jackpot!

Baking By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm by alvarezmom

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 14

I was looking through old stuff and I found a plastic tote I had forgotten about. It has tons of recipes! Some from the Betty Crocker Step-by-Step recipe series(1975 ish), Weight Watchers Recipe Cards (1971-74), The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library (1970-ish), Great American Recipe card collection- includes microwave instructions, and various other local recipe collection booklets. These recipes include everything from Liver Pate En Masque (???) and Mini Hot Dog Roast to Maple Divinity and Creamy Almond Fudge.
I cannot believe I forgot these! If you are looking for an old recipe gimme a holler and I'll look to see. I am going to see if I can get these all in to the computer. It is most definitely going to take a while!

YAY!!!

13 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 14

That is wonderful!!! We will be waiting for pictures of all the yummy things you try!!! icon_lol.gif

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 14

Oh neat! What a find!
I collect old recipes/books/etc from pre-1980 so I know the joy of finding all those. Yum!

Those older recipe cards from WW can be a hoot! Do you have any of the creepy ones? Foods that just don't look edible at all?
See this for a funny about those type of cards from the 70's-
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Hooray for a fun find!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 14

OOOOOOOOOOO! Those are some of the ones I found! HAHAHAHA! Growing up we never had stuff like that. Our menu consisted of beans: refried and whole, potatoes, beans, spam, tortillas, ground meat, and if we were lucky beans! lol

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 14

I hope you find some good ones in there.. yummy! The more butter laden the better icon_smile.gif

Sadiepix:
That link in hilarious!! I've been sitting here looking at those instead of working....

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 14

Oh Sadiepix, those are priceless! icon_lol.gif I just sent them to my sister to laugh at. She's a food stylist and will get a huge kick out of those oldies.

Leaves me wondering. What's with all the mackerel recipes?? How bizzare! icon_razz.gif

sadiepix Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 14

You wanna laugh at old food?
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

These are hilarious, and the commentary is the best.

Small part of why I love old cookbooks. The 50's-70's were the oddest decades.
I have more than a few with creepy aspic, or mayo based dishes that are just a little tummy-turning to look at.
Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 14

Love the link, Sadiepix, you gave me my laugh for the day!!!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 14

Sadiepix, I checked out your link here at work and I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. Now my mascara is all smeared and my face is all red from laughing! I was afraid someone would walk by and think I was nuts! That is the funniest thing I've ever read. Did you make up the captions? You are hilarious. I want to go have margaritas with you!

Mandy

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 14

I have a Pillsbury's Best 1000 Recipes: Best of the Bake-Off Collection from 1959 and a Joy of Cooking from 1964 that were my great-grandmothers. Also I have a 3 ring binder that she had with handwritten recipes and ones clipped from newspapers and magazines from the 60s. It's scary some of the combinations they have, no way could I get my kids to eat them!

sadiepix Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks ladies, I love those pages too. I even have some of the books.

@mandysue-No, the captions aren't mine. I just lucked across them last year and keep them bookmarked. I also laughed til I cried the first time I read them, and I read them now for a giggle. Great stuff.

I think my oldest actual cookbook is 1894, but I have a few handwritten ones that are older. I would take a pile of the older books before most of the new ones these days. So fun to read!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 14

These links that are posted are great! Toooo funny! Some of those pictures gave me the creeps though icon_lol.gif

No wonder I was so skinny growing up....not now though---not since discovering buttercream!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 14

The WWer's pictures were just gross looking. OMG I cant believe ppl actually bought that crap. So gross. I'm going to have to forward that link to some ladies at my work that are on WWer's and see what they think. LOL Just plain WRONG!!!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 14

The WWer's pictures were just gross looking. OMG I cant believe ppl actually bought that crap. So gross. I'm going to have to forward that link to some ladies at my work that are on WWer's and see what they think. LOL Just plain WRONG!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%