Help! Arms Falling Off!

Decorating By cakemommync Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 5:22am by ceshell

cakemommync Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 4

I am making fondant figures for a girl scout cake and I can't seem to get the arms to stay on! Tried using water and toothpicks while it was pliable but now that they are drying, the arms are falling off and I cant get them to stay! I tried some royal icing but that didn't work either. HELP!

3 replies
Bellatheball Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 4

Try a little meringue powder and water for glue and use toothpicks too.

Sarsi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 4

Also, fondant gets pretty brittle when it dries. I would've been a good idea to use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste....

ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:22am
post #4 of 4

At first I thought this was a post about a medical problem! LOL.

Do you have any gumpaste? Gum glue works best, I dissolve a little gp in water to make a REALLY thick glue and use it just like regular paste eg dab it on, wait for it to dry a bit, then when it's getting tacky I'll put my heavy piece on. See my avatar for an example!! If you don't have gp you can try the same with fondant only it will take a lot longer for it to get tacky and then eventually dry; you'll need to support the arms until they are completely dry. I usually support mine while drying, even with gum glue. Although if you check out any Aine2 videos, that magical woman gets everything she makes to stick with just a brush of gum glue (but thin glue, not pasty stuff like I seem to need).

For what it's worth, unless your figure is pretty small I agree with Sarsi, 50/50 gives you a much more stable figure. Either that or adding gum-tex to your fondant works well too. If your figures are little minis, I'm sure you'll be ok with straight fondant (as long as you can get the little buggers arms to stick lol) but since you didn't state how large the figures are, I'm adding my 2c icon_wink.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%