Warning-Learned To Much At Cc Now My Dh Says He Is Deprived!

Decorating By Bossy Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 12:34am by levinea

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 15

DH says now that I've learned so many techniques from this site that he never gets cake bits any more! I've learned to wrap the pans so I do not need to level cakes, learned how to do frosting plugs so I do not have extra icing flaoting around open, got lots of ideas on how to store cakes and frosting for future use, spend lots of time drooling over cake ideas onlin here, so.....he does not get all those cake tops and leftover frosting on a regular basis any more! Poor DH, I guess I'll have to start making special hubby cakes, he's so good in indulging my cake decorating whims and purchases!!! Are your DH's feeling the side effects of your addiction to CC?

14 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 15

Tell him he should buy one of your cakes, then he'll get some. icon_biggrin.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 15

LOL Mine (and our dog) pouted so very much when I learned how to bake a level cake, that I just 'forgot' how to do that. Keeps the peace around here. icon_razz.gif My DH doesn't like actual cake... just the cake tops and the crunchy bits from just around the edges. Silly man. (although he's re-thinking the idea of upgrading all my pans from Wilton to Fat Daddio's or something, since I don't have nearly the amount of 'crunchies' with the good pans as I do with my old Wilton's! LOL)

I've often told my hubby he should beg Heath to start a 'Cake Widower's' support forum on here, with topics anywhere from 'She's doing this weird new hobby and my house will never be the same!' to 'How can I help make her cake business thrive and keep her sane?' or some such. icon_razz.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 15

I don't want my dh anywhere near here! LOL

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #5 of 15

My husband likes the fact that I am busy so he can watch all the football he desires. However, sometimes he won't even ask for anything simple because he knows I'm busy doing something with cake.
Sad, but true.
He did request a special cake the other night - guess I'd better do that (only the second cake he has ever ask for). Over all - he's a very happy man.

The dog on the other hand, wines and begs for my icing. She even pushes me until I give in and drop some for her to taste. After, I tell her go and she does. Drives me nuts!!!

Bossy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 15

lol! My Corgi never lets frosting hit the floor. He's definately a sugar addict just like me.

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossy

DH says now that I've learned so many techniques from this site that he never gets cake bits any more! I've learned to wrap the pans so I do not need to level cakes, learned how to do frosting plugs so I do not have extra icing flaoting around open, got lots of ideas on how to store cakes and frosting for future use, spend lots of time drooling over cake ideas onlin here, so.....he does not get all those cake tops and leftover frosting on a regular basis any more! Poor DH, I guess I'll have to start making special hubby cakes, he's so good in indulging my cake decorating whims and purchases!!! Are your DH's feeling the side effects of your addiction to CC?

What technique are you talking about with the pans? I'd love to know so I can quit trying to level my cakes!! Thank you!!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #8 of 15

icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif This is what I see when my family comes in and sees there are only level cakes (still in the pans).

But if they hear I have a carved cake to do everything changes to icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

Bossy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:44am
post #9 of 15

I took a course with Jennifer Dontz so I need to give her the credit! Tear a old bath towel in to aprox. 2" strips. Get them wet and only squeeze out enough to keep them from dripping. Wrap around pan and tuck ends under thensleves where they overlap, or I use saftey pins when the strips are to short to tuck under on large cakes My cakes have been level ever sense I started using these! I also turn my pans upside down on the rack to cool. Hope this helps.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #10 of 15

What are icing plugs?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossy

so.....he does not get all those cake tops and leftover frosting on a regular basis any more!

We call those "trim jobs". At granddaughter's 6th birthday, my then-15 year old said, "Look, mom! A whole piece of cake.... not a trim job! Square! With icing on it!! Is THIS what a piece of cake is suppose to look like?" Poor child ... she never gets "regular" food!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuns

What are icing plugs?

Just what I was about to ask!

Bossy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 15

Sorry to take so long, I go to bed early becuase I get up before dawn to train. Here's the link for the frosting plugs, enjoy!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404.html

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the link! I knew I've heard of it before but couldn't remember what it was. Once I saw the link it all came back!!!! Thanks for re-jogging my memory, I'm looking forward to trying this just to help with the cleanup!!!! icon_lol.gif

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #15 of 15

How funny, DH was just complaining about this when I did my last cake. The cakes were perfectly level, so no cake crown for him, and I used icing plugs and immediately cleaned the bowl, so there was nothing left of that either. He pouted ALL night! He doesn't know these tips come from CC, but he misses the days of huge messes, cake crown, and mistakes for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%