Hubby Cracks Me Up Sometimes, Lol

Decorating By keljo05 Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm by keljo05

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 15

Since it's a miserable day out I decided to try and make some cake dummy forms. I wanted to see how hard they'd be to do with polystyrene foam. I lined my pans well and sprayed 3 pans before running out of foam. Silly me didn't realize how much expansion there is, lol. 2 or the 3 are on the stove (not lit at all) and are just hanging out curing. Hubby walks in...looks and says:

"OOOOOooooooo they look GOOD! What did you make??"

he was so disappointed when I told him its nothing he'd want to eat, lol

14 replies
lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 15

.... and he was trying to be soooo sweet icon_lol.gif

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 15

Thats funny...like when people see my display cakes and want to cut a piece of it...

keljo05 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 15

he's been in the doghouse too so yeah.. he was really trying to be sweet. Personally I didn't thing they looked appetizing at all, lol

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 15

What a good husband. I think it was cute that he thought they looked good enough to eat.
Did you make him cookies or something? icon_biggrin.gif

-Debbie B.

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 15

How funny...Sounds like my hubby only he would of found out by trying to steal a bite....Too cute!! icon_smile.gif

DebBTX Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 15

I was smiling because your husband had been in the doghouse earlier, and I remembered a "recipe" from a 1926 cookbook that I have. icon_lol.gif
Like many recipes, I have seen it in numerous forms and locations. But, here is a copy of the one that I have.

From the chapter on Preserves, Jellies and Jams

How to Preserve a Husband
by Mrs. Henry Moore, Cleburne, Texas 1926

"Be careful in your selection. Do not choose too young and take only such varieties as have been reared in a good moral atmosphere.
When once decided upon and selected, let that part remain forever settled, and give your entire thought to preparation for domestic use. Some insist on keeping them in a pickle, while others are constantly getting them in hot water.
Even poor varieties may be made sweet, tender and good, by garnishing them with patience, well sweetened with smiles and flavored to taste with kisses.
Then wrap well in a mantle of charity, keep warm with a steady fire of domestic devotion and serve with peaches and cream. When thus prepared they will keep for years.
The above recipe has been well tested by the ladies of the ___chapter and is thoroughly suited to this climate; is not in the least affected by the altitude. Very fine. "

I love old books.

-Debbie B.

keljo05 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 15

I should take a pic of what they look like.. makes it even more amusing, lol

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 15

I am sorry how do you make cake dummy forms?????
I never herad of it icon_confused.gif
thanks

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 15

DebBTX that is too cute...I have a bunch of recipes like that in a Baptist cookbook my grandma gave me. I love little ones like that!!! I think I will have to print some out and frame them for my kitchen!! I especially like that one!!

I too would like to know how to make your own dummies. They are so expensive to buy and that would be nice to have some to practice on!!!

keljo05 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 15

i have no idea if the end result will be worth it, or if they will come out correctly. I just took my cake pans, lined them 3 layers deep in plastic wrap, with foil around the edge and sprayed the foam in. They have to finish curing before I see if this was worth the effort.

DebBTX Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keljo05

i have no idea if the end result will be worth it, or if they will come out correctly. I just took my cake pans, lined them 3 layers deep in plastic wrap, with foil around the edge and sprayed the foam in. They have to finish curing before I see if this was worth the effort.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your experiment and post it? I love learning new things.
It sounds like this could help a lot of our members if it works.
Plus, it would be fun to see what your husband saw.

-Debbie B.

keljo05 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 15

i took pics of them a little while ago, i'll take more when they are cured and after they are carved. Which should be amusing in and of itself as I'm not sure how easy it will be to carve, lol.

DebBTX Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 15

Was the spray that you used flammable, or have any special warnings that we should be careful of?

Thank you,

-Debbie B.

keljo05 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 15

yes.. definitely flammable when being sprayed. that was the one thing that stood out the most when I was reading the directions.. and why I clarified they were sitting on an oven that is turned off, lol.

the foam I'm trying is from Lowe's home store, I'm sure Home Depot carries it. I also used the one can to seal off a gap around our front door since our landlord is in no hurry to fix it (long story).I threw the cans out or I'd look for any other special instructions. Oh and I made sure both hands were covered by gloves. If you get this foam on your skin and it dries on your skin it has to wear off. It doesn't come off easily. However it it dry to the touch in under 10 minutes so its easy to handle. I used 2 types because I knew I'd be doing the side of our door. For that I specifically picked up a spray foam designed for doors and windows. it doesn't inflate as much. When i put that in my 8" pan I used a large plastic home repair type spatula and smoothed it into the pan. That one has stayed fairly level. I think it only puffs 10% more. I never thought to do that with the 6" and 10" pan and they are puffy on top because of the way the foam dried. I didn't really care as I knew I'd be trimming it. They kind of look like a yeast bread gone mad, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%