Dh Cupcake Mix

Baking By Naillady Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 12:45am by indydebi

Naillady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naillady Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 18

icon_biggrin.gif
For anyone who is interested. Duncan Hines makes a cupcake mix. I found this at the Dollar Tree. They come two flavors confetti and yellow mix.

What's Bakin?

Quote:
Quote:

17 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #2 of 18

????? It's called "cupcake" mix? Is it different than the regular cake mix?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #3 of 18

Yeah, I saw this at Target. If it's what I saw, the mix makes half the amount as a regular cake mix, but costs the same.

Michelle104 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 18

Bleh! Why would they make that???? Anybody think this is a good idea? icon_confused.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 18

icon_surprised.gif Am I missing something? Something that has 1/2 of what the regualr mix has.......costs DOUBLE ( if it only makes 1/2 and its the same as cake mix, then technically its double the cost----whos on first?)

Did they (DH) really think we would fall for this??

PPPPPFFFFTTTTTT puh-leez!

I cant wait to see the box, I want to take a pic and send a little letter ( yes, an actual snail mail letter) to our good 'ol friends at DH

Jess

Michelle104 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 18

Totally agreed Jess! Maybe that's why they were at the dollar tree?? No one else could sell them?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Us cupcakers are a little smarter than the average bear!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hey Jess! What'd you think of the ding dong filling?? icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 18

These "consumer rip off" products just tick me off! Who actually falls for this?

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 18

Unfortunately, people who don't know any better will buy it thinking it's a great find. It's just sad icon_sad.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #9 of 18

Hey Michelle,
Gr8 timing, im making it now. I've got my "wallpaper paste" cooling as well as my cakes. I am going to try my hand at the KitKat cake. Just a little diff. to make it 'jess' icon_razz.gif

Ill post a pic , cross your fingers it doesnt totally suck! ( remember, i m a cupcake gal)

im nervous now LOL

Jess

Michelle104 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #10 of 18

What's the kitkat cake? A theme or flavor? If it's a flavor.....YUMMY!!! You'll do great "cupcake girl"!!!! icon_lol.gif

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 18

I agree with stsapph. The company cuts expenses, increasing profits and some pencil-neck marketing genius gets a promotion. Fear and insecurity sell even more than sex and addiction.

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naillady

icon_biggrin.gif
For anyone who is interested. Duncan Hines makes a cupcake mix.

What's Bakin?
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure it is DH? They don't list that as a product on their website, however, Betty Crocker does.

Either way, it is a ripoff!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 18

do they even, at least, come with cupcake liners? that seems like such a rip off to make 1/2 the amount for the same price of a box cake mix.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 18

I saw these at the dollar tree. I did buy them. I know they are half the amount of the regular cake mix. The reason why I thought it was a good deal for me is that I don't usually make cupcakes and if I want only 12 why make 24 (more to decorate) and if I did make 24 I'd eat them all. I suppose I could take the cake mix and cut it is half but I don't have a scale so I could do it properly. Anyway, I thought it was a good idea. icon_redface.gif

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 18

No worries Peeverly! I have bought also, for the exact same reason as you. I know its the same price as reg cake mix, but sometimes I'm too lazy to cut the mix in half.
I guess the better idea for all of us who just want 12 cc's is to make the full mix and freeze the rest unfrosted. Of course, then I'd know that they were there and eat them all up anyway!
So I guess the mix is more reasonable for some of us than others!
thumbs_up.gif

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #16 of 18

I have noticed that everything is shrinking. The other day I saw a sign saying buy two ice creams for $4.00, I thought Wow what a great deal only when I go to reach for what I thought was a half gallon I find it's way less than that! I couldn't even find any half gallons except for the store brand. One marketing "geniuss" wrote on the container "Now sized to fit easily in your freezer"- oh right thanks for thinking of me. And have you seen a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup lately?? Hello they are the size of a quarter!

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #17 of 18

I know what you mean about everything shrinking. My Mom made some of her famous Armenian sweet bread and it didn't come out right. She said she could feel that something was "off" when she was kneading it. Come to find out, she uses canned milk and the can now is 2 ounces less than it was before. No mention of it on the label - other than the small print on the bottom (of course they are not going to say "Now 2 ounces less than before!" . I guess as consumers we have to make sure everytime we buy something that they haven't "reduced" it. A pound of coffee is no longer a pound of coffee it's 13 ounces!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeverly

Come to find out, she uses canned milk and the can now is 2 ounces less than it was before.

A great lesson on why recipes should be written as "one 12-oz can of milk" and not "one can of milk".

Although I'm betting your mom has made this so often that she just never even looks at the label anymore. If Dream Whip ever makes their envelope smaller, I'd be in the same boat with my icing, until I figured out the difference! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%