Whats Up With The Taste

Decorating By nicegurl222 Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm by paulstonia

nicegurl222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicegurl222 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 7

hi, i dont use fondant but i am thinking to start. can i have any tips. also how does fondant taste. reply asap. thx icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 7

A lot of people don't like the taste of fondant from my experience. I have heard on CC that people like MMF -- but I have yet to try it myself.

What tips do you want to know about fondant? What's your plan for the cake you are making.. that will help us figure out what to tell you.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 7

I'm a newbie to cake decorating, so I have not tried MMF yet, but I've tried a couple of different fondants. The Wilton brand tastes terrible. I've even tried adding flavors - I've tried vanilla and I've tried butter flavoring, but it's still terrible tasting. Then I heard about Satin Ice - I have a pretty good sweet tooth, so I think it tastes great. My 3-year old grabs chunks of it everytime I try to make a cake with it! It comes flavored with vanilla - and they have fondant that is already colored, so when doing black, red, or another deep color, it's much easier to use than kneading in the color yourself!

cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 7

Yes! Someone recommended Satin Ice to me. I finally found a store that carries it.. so I'm going to go and get some this week. The color scheme will definitely turn out better because I can never get the colors that I want.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 7

Marshmallow fondant taste pretty good, just like marshmallows,and you can add flavor oils besides just vanilla. I haven't tried that yet, have to find somewhere to by them. But I started using marshmallow fondant as soon as I started decorating and it was no problem, plus it is way way cheaper than store bought. Just remember when you make it you probably won't use all the powdered sugar the recipe calls for. And I add my color before the powders sugar, when it's just soupy marshmallows icon_biggrin.gif It's mush easier. You may still need to add some more later, but it's mush easier to need in a little than a lot.

cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! That's great advice about the MMF. I think I'm going to make some this wekk. Do you have a really good recipe that you'd like to share Paulstonia?

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

It's just the recipe I got from the wilton forum, just made a couple additions. 16 oz. small marshmallows, 2 Tlb. spoons water,1 tsp. butter flavor, 1 tsp. vanilla flavor, 1 lb. powdered sugar ( 8 cups) and I add a pinch of salt. Heat the marshmallows,butter,vanilla and water, in microwave until soupy, try a minute then another if needed,depends on the microwave. Stir until marshmallow are smooth then start adding the powdered sugar. Use a strong spoon, I try to get in as much as I can before I switch to my hands. Once you can't stir with a spoon start needing it in with your hands, put some crisco on them first, it's pretty sticky at first, you can move it to a sugared board if it's easier. If you've used fondant before you'll have a good idea of when to stop adding sugar. You don't want it too sticky but it still needs to be pliable. You don't want it so dry it starts cracking. If you make it ahead of time wrap in saran wrap and then into a zip lock bag, no need to refrigerate. If it's a little stiff you can pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to make it more pliable, need it a little, but watch for hot spots, hot marshmallows burn icon_sad.gif Good luck, I think you'll like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%