Wedding Cake Order Questions

Decorating By chasebrad Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm by indydebi

chasebrad Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ok. I have been doing cakes for most every occasion except weddings. I made my first wedding cake in April for my brother's wedding. I think it turned out ok and they were very happy with it.

Now I have a neighbor that is planning a wedding and wants a wedding cake and a grooms cake. So here are my questions....

1 - If there are 200 people attending, do you suggest having 200 servings of cake?

2- When there are both cakes, do you add up the servings from both to come up with the total? or do you make sure you have the total you need for the wedding cake and then the grooms cake is just extra?

3- What are the best (affordable) resources for silver cake plateaus? They want a square cake.

I'm sure I have more questions, but these are the ones that came to my mind first.

Again thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice!
Karen

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 7

I read in a cake book that you should plan on having extra cake. The lady said an extra 10%. So if they are expected 200 guests, you should have 220 slices of cake.

Just what I read, so take it for what it's worth!!

I'm sure other people on here could help you more!

julitre1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 7

I have found that when I plan the bride's cake for 200 ppl, for ex. there's a lot of cake left over. I would plan both cakes to serve the 200. I have, however, had the bride insist on her cake being huge and the groom's cake being small, so I would consult with the bride about what she wants. The brides didn't seem to mind that there was a TON of cake left over.

kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 7

..........If there are 200 people attending, do you suggest having 200 servings of cake?.....

Most people do but some go less. I've also had others go slightly b igger as they want to be *sure* everyone gets some. Leftovers can always be sent home w/guests or family or fzn for when the couple comes home from their honeymoon.
...... When there are both cakes, do you add up the servings from both to come up with the total?....
Again, it';s up to the customer which way to go. See above answer icon_smile.gif

.......What are the best (affordable) resources for silver cake plateaus? They want a square cake.....
Never have found a cheap sour ceicon_sad.gif This is one thing where you get what you pay for. The cheap ones are just that........and might not hold up to the weight of the cakeicon_sad.gif

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 7

1. Yes of course. If there are 200 people then you plan to have entrees for 200, drinks for 200 and dessert (wedding cake) for 200.

2. Yes. Total servings from both cakes = 200.

3. Generally a rental company or florist provides these. At least that's the way we do it around here.

MacsMom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 7

You can find tons of plateaus for a great price through eBay.

I recently borrowed one from a friend: I thought her 16" would be too large for my 12" bottom tier, but it actually looked very nice. So consider larger sizes, too, as sometimes you will find one for less than what you had in mind.

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

As usual, I agree with leahs completely.

The 200 figure ... is that the number of people invited or the number of people EXPECTED? It makes a big difference.

But if she's ordering food, chairs and favors for 200, then she orders cake for 200.

And that line about ordering 10% more is ludicrous. I view any baker/bakery that does that as one of those places all the magz and websites warn brides about .... they're just trying to scam the bride into spending more money.

Donald Trump didn't have a 100% show-rate at his wedding and he PAYS people to like him!! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%