What Is Everyones "real" Job?

Lounge By hammer1 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm by ECC12

cakes_are_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_are_fun Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm
post #181 of 573

Zahrah I love your avatar!

I am a homeschooling work at home (online) mom of 4. For fun and to support my cake habit I teach Wilton Cake Decorating on the weekends. icon_biggrin.gif

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #182 of 573

Presently, I am a SAHM of two girls, 5 and 10 months. I was previously a RN and plan to return to that once the kiddos are older. I love to bake and decorate cakes, I took the Wilton classes last year for the kids cakes and fun, now I am getting an occasional wedding order and I am so excited and nervous about it at the same time! lol.

jenangel1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenangel1229 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #183 of 573

I am an insurance agent for an independant agency. I must say that I am so excited when a cake comes along because that is my relaxing time.

mimi2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi2004 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #184 of 573

Hey Everyone! This is great!! icon_biggrin.gif I am a Practice Manager for an Orthopaedic Group. I have been married to my DH for 25 yrs. We have 2 boys 27 and almost 20. I have twin grand babies 3 1/2 yrs old (boy and girl). My neice and I do cakes for fun and occasionally sell one. We have 2 weddings coming up and I am excited about that. We would love to one day have our own cake shop.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #185 of 573

so glad I started this thread, it sure has been interesting.
Been too busy all week at the real job to read, just caught up on everyone and thought I would bump this up the list again. Happy baking....oh tonight it is pies, not cakes.
hammer1

hammer1 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #186 of 573

Been too busy all week at the real job to read, just caught up on everyone and thought I would bump this up the list again. Happy baking....oh tonight it is pies, not cakes.
hammer1

hammer1 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #187 of 573

hammer1

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #188 of 573

Hi I am a dental assistant for the last 10 years. I also have a culinary degree. I just had our first baby Anna July 05,08. I did work full time but now have cut back to just 2 days a week. I also teach Cake decorating classes on the weekends. I have been saving up to build a certified kitchen in my home, then I hope to work at my real dream.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #189 of 573

I work full time nights in a hospital as an RN. I also homeschool 2 children 9, 12 and just graduated one who is now enlisted in the Navy. I just do baking for friends at this time, but if I can ever sell my house, we are moving to Kansas. They have cottage food laws that I can sell from my home. My goal is to open up a small coffee shop/ bakery. My husband would help me run it and I could still work nights couple nights a week so we can have insurance. A girl can dream.

boatorr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boatorr Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #190 of 573

Wow where are all the Men Decorators? hahaha I am currently the Branch Manager for a national staffing company. I graduated from Ole Miss in 04 with a degree in Marketing and Human Resources not having a clue what i wanted to do with my life other than have fun. After being a retail manager for both Target, and Pac Sun back in Ark. i realized corp retail wasn't for me but luck had it my wife wanted to move to SC for her grad school, so i took to the BM job. Well here i am 26 years old married for just over 1 year i think i finally found out what i want to do. Take a wild guess what it is. hahaha CAKE! I've only been decorating cakes for just shy of 2 years and a whopping 11 cakes but man im hooked. So much at the end of the month i will be dedicating my time to being a full time cake entrepreneur. Im currently looking at culinary schools in Charlotte. Let me know if you have and recommendations.

Emily212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emily212 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #191 of 573

I am an Executive Director at a shelter for dometic violence victims. Decorating cakes is a stress reliever for me.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #192 of 573

Retired - but do part time consulting for fundraising, events, volunteering.

My degree is in Radiation Physics (doctorate) worked for a long time at this then did real-estate for a while then worked in baseball, then wrote cover the Philladelphia Phillies baseball teams, Majors, Minors and rehabs.

I have picked up a new hobby every couple of years, latest is the cake decorating.

Drive my friends and family nuts because I can change and learn something new quickly. Luckily I do not have to work just find things to keep me interested and busy.

Have no fear about trying something new. I have 5 degrees total and now just do consutling and volunteer work.

Female, married 30 years, a 27 year old daughter, a peke who is our baby and princess, a pot belly pig that is 17 years old, two cats who think they are dogs and a cake decorating obsession . Keep it fun!!

lmorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmorton Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:53am
post #193 of 573

I'm a nuclear medicine technologist in a cardiology office. I also travel to do nuclear imaging in nearby small town hospitals. Very satisfying, yet sometimes stressful "real job". My husband is a Fire Captain and we have 4 children, 3 of which are in college---AAACCCKKKK!!!! Our littlest apple of our eye has just turned 9 yrs old. (Her birthday is 9-9-99)

I only decorate for friends and family and on my own terms....that way it is always fun and never work!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #194 of 573

Just wanted to say welcome to CC boatorr!

Does your name (boat...) have anything to do with the the theme of 3 of your cakes? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Great job on all of them btw!!! I'm sure you'll be very successful in your new found passion!! Good Luck with school.

icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #195 of 573

Besides my baking job, I also am a SAHM to my parents. They are in their late 70's and need a little extra help with the everyday things we take for granted.

About 30 years ago or so I started a floral business and it developed into a special events cordinating and decorating business.

During that time I also worked as a floral decorator (paid of course) for the Rose Parade each year for about 11 years. icon_surprised.gif

I took a cake decorating class about 20 years ago and did some work but not much until the last 8years or so when I decided I had had enough of the hard work and decided it was time to retire.

That quickly got old and I started first teaching cake decorating and of course the business grew and people started placing orders for cakes, and anyother pastries I could make.

I eventually developed the hard candy lollipops I make and they are my signature piece, being shipped all over the world. thumbs_up.gif

Whew! I'm tired just thinking about all this work. Hope it wasn't to icon_confused.gif long. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #196 of 573

I am a 24 y/o SAHM of 2 wonderful boys almost 4 and almost 1. I have been since I got pregnant with my first...I have always loved decorating cakes. I used to cut the corners of the zip top bags and decorate with what I knew at the time!! Then 2 years ago I took 2 wilton classes with my Aunt and really got into the love of it again! Took a year break when I got pregnant with my second. I need TONS of practice but I love what I do and now my 4 year old is really getting into what I do....I am going to let him help for his Birthday cake....I also do chocolates around the holidays. I would love to be a chocolate~er(sp). And really combine the two...I figure when my kids are in school I will really be able to focus on what I want to do. Kinda hard to focus while one is hanging onto your pant leg and the other is begging for you to pipe more icing on his little finger!!

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #197 of 573

Great Thread!! icon_biggrin.gif

My 9-5? I'm a Senior Associate in the Risk Management department of Capital One. My title doesn't really describe what I do -- I'm called a "Senior Process Manager". icon_confused.gif I guess that means I work on how we do what we do... Whatever -- I create reports, track budgets, maintain staffing information, stuff like that! Sounds dull, but I really enjoy my job and work for a FABULOUS boss and great team! thumbs_up.gif

Prior to this gig, I was in PC Technical Support for years and years and years... icon_eek.gif Which explains my need for a more "creative" outlet with cakes!!! icon_smile.gif

Oh, and I just started teaching cake decorating as a Wilton Instructor at Michaels! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! icon_lol.gif

...Andrea

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:48am
post #198 of 573

I worked for an airline as a customer service supervisor for many years and I'm a SAHM for 5 years now. I love that I have the weekends available unlike before, to make and decorate cakes!!

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #199 of 573

I'm VP of Operations for a skin care company, married with 2 children (12 & 4). Baking used to be hobby but its nearly a full time job on its own now. As my DH says, keeps me off the streets.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #200 of 573

What a great thread! Interesting...

I am a high school Spanish teacher, mother of three, wife of a minister. I work on cakes afternoons after school, and on the weekends. I still love it, and I think it's because I turn down orders OFTEN. Family and sanity first!!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #201 of 573

Currently I'm a SAHM to 2 boys, an autistic 3 yr old and a snarling beast of a 2 yr old (he's a brat, i'm not kidding) and have another coming the first week of May.

I do my baking during the day and the decorating in the evenings if DH is home, and after the kids are in bed if DH is working.

In my ''before children'' life, I was an artistic consultant at a stuffy interior decorating company in the mornings (which basically means I handled new customers and told them whether or not their ideas sucked before referring them to one of our licensed interior designers), and I was a shift manager at the country's second busiest Target store in the evenings.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #202 of 573

I would love to be a SAHM!!! But my real job is as an unloader for a walmart distribution center. I work the weekends, so I make cakes during the week. would love to do it full time.

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #203 of 573

Great topic!!! I'm a project manager for telephone system installations/upgrades for BB&T bank. I have two kids, 3 and 9 and a wonderful very understanding husband. I actually got into cake decorating by accident icon_eek.gif One of my good friends begged me to take a cake decorating class with her so that she could make her daughter 1st birthday cake.....and i fell in love with it!!! Been doing it every since and made her daughter's 2nd and 3rd b-day cakes, her wedding cake, and baby shower cake....and she never liked decorating cake...go figure right!!!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #204 of 573

I'm an accountant for NYU, mother to 3 daughter (triplets, age 5), "mother to 2 pugs, Jellybean and BooBoo, wife to wonderful husband; and work 1 day a week at a cake shop. I completed my MBA and also finished my baking and pastry diploma on weekends at ICE in New York.

I love to have friends and family over for dinner. We entertain potluck style. They provide the main dishes. I bake a surprise dessert.

ceolivari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceolivari Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #205 of 573

I'm a Systems Analyst for Hewitt Associates. Since I work from home, I get to work my 'real' job and bake my cakes. I'd love to open a bakery and do cakes full time, but can't afford to pay for a place and I'm too scared to take out a business loan icon_eek.gif

ceolivari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceolivari Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #206 of 573

I'm a Systems Analyst for Hewitt Associates. Since I work from home, I get to work my 'real' job and bake my cakes. I'd love to open a bakery and do cakes full time, but can't afford to pay for a place and I'm too scared to take out a business loan icon_eek.gif

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #207 of 573

This is my first time posting in the forum. I read stuff all the time but reading this thread is making me laugh out loud. From kids hanging off your pants while trying to do delicate piping work, to wishing I could do this as a day job, wow, we all have similarities. Makes for a feeling of comradery (spelling?) Regarding the thread topic, I am a part-time registered nurse, mother of two boys age 3 and 1. Got hooked on cakes after I made my son's 3rd birthday cake and I got a lot of compliments on it from friends. I feel like I may have found an artistic outlet for myself since I love art but suck at it. I will definitely take some Wilton cake classes when I get a chance so I know what I'm doing. Question- are most cake decorators pastry chefs by profession or do they learn through small classes like Wilton?

hammer1 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #208 of 573

bump it up again and keep it going, I am still enjoy reading all of your responses.

Hammer1

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:12pm
post #209 of 573

I am a former Lockheed Martin Network Engineer for the Navy. I am now an IT Manager for NASA. I have three children and a grandson. icon_smile.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #210 of 573

I am a bum. Don't really do much. At least that's what I tell people when they ask. If they persist, then I tell them what I do to make money. I own a couple of wineries. I am the first female wine maker and cellar master in Arizona. I really love it and it's a tough, long job but I wouldn't trade it for anything--except maybe a small patisserie. I've got two small children (4 and 2 1/2) who help out and a beautiful husband of 12 years next month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%