What Is Everyones "real" Job?

Lounge By hammer1 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm by ECC12

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #91 of 573

I am a full time housecleaner and half time student, finishing up my prerequisites for nursing. When I lived in Belize I was a high school biology teacher at one point, but then quit to start my own cake business. I keep doing housecleaning because it allows me to set my schedule to still allow me time to bake and decorate. School is at night time.

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #92 of 573

Extra long day for sure. I worked as a baker (non-journeyman) when I was in my early 20's, but went to college at 24 and have been a full time as an administrative assistant for the last 15 years.

Working full time and making cakes at night and on the weekends is tiring at times, but I look at it this way. It keeps me out of the fridge. haha

My grandaughter who is 4 is getting quite versed in the cake decorating lingo.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #93 of 573

I have been blessed to be a SAHM for 21 years now. We have 6 children (3 girls first, then 3 boys) ages 20 down to 6. I've been homeschooling now for 16 years....12 more years to go!! We've been married for 23 years and DH is a pastor and also teaches 9th grade Algebra in the local high school.

I may be at home, but boy do I work!!!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #94 of 573

Had a candy business for years and used to do auto detail for the state police. Loved driving the cars through town freaking people out thinking I was a real cop.

Now, do to health reasons I'm a stay at home mom of a 12 year old daughter. I do the cake thing whenever I can but I also have an eBay site going on the side with my fiance. He is currently a cross country truck driver, so I spend most days by myself in front of the computer. icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #95 of 573

My what a diverse group we are!!
I was in the dental office for 22 years. Preaching against tooth decay and now I'm promoting it!!!

I had taken a course a few yrs ago and loved it and two years ago I had a ugly neck surgery and retired from Dentistry. And that opened the door for me to bake,bake,bake! I have 3 kids... 22-daughter in college, 20-son in college and 18-daughter senior in HS.

I should have ditched dentistry a long time ago!!
After leaving it I found this quote....Real success is finding your life works in the work that you love.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #96 of 573

Hi I am a full time college student, preschool teacher, mom to 3 "special needs" girls and wife.

I am wrapping up my bachelors degree in early childhood education then will be starting the 4 year process of getting 2 Masters degrees (one in early childhood education and one in special education/intervention services).

I bake the weekend before and freeze; then make my icings in the evenings throughout the week; and then decorate on Thurs/ Friday...

I also suffer insomia so I never sleep.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #97 of 573

My DH is a Chiropractor and I have been his Clinic Director for the past
17 years. That means I do everything except treat patients!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #98 of 573

Guess I should add that for 10 years I took care of a boy and girl that were both Autistic and ADHD. What a combination. Boy was born deaf and had surgery during the first year to try and restore it. I learned great patience and wouldn't trade and of those years for anything.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #99 of 573

I've worked in banking for 28 years. Right now I'm a loan officer. I make loan decisions on applications submitted by car, RV, boat, ATV, and manufactured home dealerships as well as applications submitted by our 25 branches. But wait! There's more . . . because the economy is such a mess, I also coordinate the marketing, repairing, and selling of our repossessed cars, RVs, boats, ATVs and manufactured homes. (anyone want an RV?) I'm on the road 1 - 2 days a week looking at repossessed collateral to take pictures and to determine their value. If that's not enough to keep me busy, I also teach new employees to use our loan software. I teach 3 days a month and receive constant phone calls from employees with questions. Just to keep me from falling asleep at my desk, I'm also the bank's administrator for grants offered by the Federal Home Loan Bank. Grants for home improvements require me to take "before and after" pictures of the projects that we've funded - more road time.

In my spare time, I'm a "Team Lead" for Total Quality Management which means I'm on way too many committees. One committee that I serve on is selecting new loan origination software - which means that I'll be spending a week in New York learning the new system. When I return, I'll have to train every employee that takes loan applications to use the new system.

No two days are the same. I might be meeting with grant applicants . . . teaching a class . . . attending committee meetings . . . on the road looking at collateral . . . visiting dealerships . . . attending classes so I stay on top of current policies and Federal regulations . . . you just never know. I have a "smart phone" that reminds me of upcoming meetings and allows me to read and respond to emails when I'm away from the office. I wear a Bluetooth headset when I'm driving so I don't miss calls. I'm a mom so I have years of experience multi-tasking.

I get to meet a lot of interesting people. I have an awesome boss and the best coworkers. I wouldn't give this job up for anything. I might be busy, but my job has lots of perks too.

When people ask what I do for a living, I spare them the details and tell them I work at a bank. icon_lol.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #100 of 573

My most recent job, which I just recently resigned from was as an administrator for an awesome ministry. I have been a home daycare provider and worked at a chocolate store which made everything (loved it). Anyway I quit my job to devote myself to cake decorating because when I move back to the states I promised my DH that I would open up a small shop or be a licensed at home depending on the next duty station.

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:49pm
post #101 of 573

I do sales/customer service for a phone company and hate every minute of it!! The only good thing about the job is I met my wonderful DH there!! I am a mother of 2 girls 15 & 17 and have a 17 yr old step son. I tell them daily to go to college, get a degree and become something you will love!!

I bake & make my icing in the evenings and decorate in the mornings. I am so a morning person, what takes me an hour to do int the morning takes me 5 hours to do at night..lol I do cakes for friends and family and do a few paid cakes here and there, I have my 1st wedding cake in October, I actually got back into cakes to do this wedding cake as a favor for a friend. Wow does she have faith in me....... 4 tiers starting to get a little nervous.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #102 of 573

Just finished reading everyone's posts. I'm guilty of being a teacher (physics, chemistry, mathematics) in my former life. Now I work in telecommunications. My guys build the guts of the telephone companies and those little cell site buildings you see all over the place. As a result, I spend a decent amount of my time driving around trying to find the sites and making sure the guys installed them correctly. Many of them are on farms so I get chased by cows regularly! Good thing is I can work from home when I want and whatever hours I want. So I bake when I'm not working.

I started working on my masters in electrical engineering but now I am seriously considering going to medical school.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #103 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

I work in a medical billing office doing accounts receivable and data entry for 5 Doc's .. Family practice.. I love my job, have been at it for 13 years. I have my space away from the craziness and just work on the computer all day and dream of new cake designs.. icon_smile.gif) .

i also work in medical billing, and i love that i am away from the craziness of the front desk/ patient area, and i also love the freedom of daydream LOL icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #104 of 573

I went to art school and was a repair jeweler. Loved it, but wanted a cleaner job so I went to work with my now MIL at a local hospital where I learned medical transcription. Now I work for a different local hospital doing medical transcription part-time and until last week I also worked at home part-time doing medical transcription for a national company typing reports for three hospitals in Tampa, Florida. So now I'm looking for another part-time job. Any takers?!?! icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #105 of 573

Long ago, in another lifetime, I managed the art department of a printing/photography/art supply company and was a commercial artist. I truly hated the competitiveness. So I went to nursing school and worked as an ER nurse for 10 years and then as a chemo nurse in a clinic for 3 years. Both broke my heart on a daily basis. But someone had to do it

I met my husband during the time I was working in the clinic. He had an excellent job with great benefits so I quit nursing (because of the chemotherapy and the xrays done in the clinic) so I could concentrate on getting pregnant. I had to take fertility drugs for 2 years to conceive. During that time, I was assistant to the buyer for a full-figured clothing boutique. Fun job!

When I became pregnant, my husband and I agreed I would become a SAHM to our beautiful son, who turns 21 this year. I volunteered about 500 hours a year during my son's elementary school years, Pre-K through 5th grade. That averages out to about 2 hours 45 minutes a day, every day of the school year, so I guess I was an unpaid employee of the school district. I volunteer-staffed the school nurse's office every Wednesday during that time, when the nurse was at another school.

I started doing cakes when my son was a baby, so that made me a commercial artist again...edible art this time, and much less competitive.

These days, I am a site admin on a television series website, and I run a chatroom on IRC.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #106 of 573

I am a student (trying to finish up my teaching degree), a mommy to a 6 year old and 2 year old. I make topiaries, wreaths and floral arrangements and go around selling them at festivals and fairs. I do all the bookkeeping and finances for my husband's cabinet/furniture company. I am not an interior decorator but I do have people call me (from friends and family recommendations) and pay me to help them do some decorating, color choices, and furniture rearranging. And I volunteer at about 1 consignment sale every 6 weeks (so I can get a better discount), in which I buy, refurbish, and resale items in. It keeps me busy!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:17am
post #107 of 573

I am a mom of two (10 years and 1 years turning 2 in a month) first and foremost. I work full time as an administrator for an IT staffing company. I also go to school full time taking classes on line to finish up my accounting degree which I will graduate in May of 2009. I bake at night after the boys are asleep and I am done with homework. It is my goal to complete my Masters in Accounting and be able to work full time baking cakes and open my open coffee shop/bakery lounge.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:19am
post #108 of 573

I work full-time as a hairstylist. It's all I've ever done. I currently have work at the same place for 15 years icon_surprised.gif . I've been with the same guy for 8 years and we have a house together and a fish! LOL

I do cakes as a hobby for friends and family.

Nancy

missdanger66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missdanger66 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #109 of 573

I am a mother of 2, boy 3 and girl 7, and 2 cats, and wife for 3 years. I work a full time job as a Executive Secretary. I love to cook and decorate cakes in the little spare time that I get.

icon_lol.gif Teresa

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #110 of 573

I have been in education for 22 years (gosh, that seems like a long time!). Early in my career (before husband and kids) I taught 4th grade and Title 1 reading. My husband and I married and moved to Germany so I took a leave of absence from my teaching position. When I came back, my mom had retired and I slipped right into her 2nd grade teaching position. I did that for about 5 years then I became a principal. I did that for 8 years and decided enough was enough. There were weeks where I wouldn't see my family for 3 or 4 days in a row and was a real b**ch when I was at home. So I quit. One night while I was driving home from a basketball game that I had supervised, I decided to quit. I got home and typed my resignation letter. I didn't even talk to my husband about it -- he found my letter on the printer the next morning. That was the best decision I ever made.

I am now at the school where I went to grade school, my children attend, and my husband works at. I teach computers, reading, band, chorus, am dean of students, yearbook sponsor, testing coordinator, technology coordinator, librarian, and whatever else they want me to do. I'm busy, but I'm HAPPY. I can go home at 3:15 and not look back. We can have supper as a family, help the kids with homework, and bake cakes to my little hearts content. It's a great feeling. Cake decorating has become my outlet with the perk of a little extra cash on the side.

kakemamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakemamma Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #111 of 573

I was a claim supervisor for a large moving company for almost 20 years. We have 2 grown daughters and 4 grandchildren, 3 girls and 1 boy. For the past 6 years I have owned my own cake & candy supply store. Love what I am doing. Enjoy all of my customers and being able to help them. I bake and make candy when I have orders for them, which is getting to be more and more. Have recently started going to a small church and have been enjoying that a great deal.

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #112 of 573

I do the books for our home photography business and help with the kid photos and event photos. I am also a home school mom of a sweet 10 year old girl. I do lots of volunteer work with our home school group, church, my daughters dance company, and Rescue the Animals. I bake when ever I can fit it in. Usually mornings while we do school.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #113 of 573

I work as an Investigative Assistant with my police department. I'm all the busy mom to a 4 year old son. I'm actually a "single parent" at the moment since my husband is deployed. What little spare time I do have I'm always making cakes.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #114 of 573

I've been a pharmacist since '91. Worked retail for about 8 years and hated every minute of it. Now I'm working 3rd shift for a 438 bed hospital and I like that better.

Hopefully here soon (within the year) I can quit for good and be a SAHM to my 2 pre-teens.

I do run a cake business from my home and want to do it full time....but I don't think I have the time or space.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #115 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I've been a pharmacist since '91. Worked retail for about 8 years and hated every minute of it. Now I'm working 3rd shift for a 438 bed hospital and I like that better.

karateka
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience in retail.

I've been a pharmacist since 1993 and have loved all of my years in retail. I'm now in a store that gives me the exact schedule I want (3 days a week, opening shift only, no weekends and no holidays). I work the other two days in a cookie store for fun.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #116 of 573

I am an elementary ed teacher (4th grade), or I was for nine years. Two years ago, I took on a new role as "mommy" and am staying at home with her. Baking happens on Thursday/Friday/Saturday when my hubby can help me with our daughter.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #117 of 573

I'm a pediatric nurse of 12 years at our local hospital. I love my job, but have often thought about having a cake shop full time.....in my dreams. icon_rolleyes.gif I work Mon-Thur and bake on the weekends. Right now I'm on a cake vacation. Job, wife, mother, builder, gardner, teacher.... all kinda overwhleming for me. so I decided to take a cake break. icon_cry.gif I have 2 cakes comming up this weekend for family so I'm excited about that.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #118 of 573

I wear many hats in my life! I am a mom to two teenagers, who by the way, are in everything!! My daughter does competitive cheer so once that starts up again my weekends are going to be planned around that which really puts the skids on multiple cakes per weekend!! My son is on the football team so he occupies part of my weekends now!! I am a wife to my husband, we have been married for 17 yrs this Sept 14th. He is a HUGE help as he is the one who cleans up after my cake tornados in my kitchen!! Now my other job is fulltime for the past 8 1/2 yrs I have been an office/insurance manager for a four physician office. That occupies a majority of my time as well. They think I am on call 24/7!!!!! I would love to one day do nothing but make cakes and take care of my house. I keep my fingers crossed daily that someday that will happen!

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #119 of 573

Special Education Teacher and part-time sales asscoiate @Talbots!

I basically bake for family and friends.

Omphale237 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omphale237 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #120 of 573

I am an LPN in an Assisted Living facility. I enjoy my job but I wish I could just make cakes for a living. I don't know how to make that dream come true. So, for now I am continuing my education in the medical field.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%