What Is Everyones "real" Job?

Lounge By hammer1 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm by ECC12

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #151 of 573

I work at the Europe headquarters for Cisco Systems in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, doing administrative support for sales. My department specifically arranges loan of Cisco products to customers, to make 'em want more and more of our wonderful products! icon_lol.gif

I went to work at this office as soon as I had my SS# in Holland in August 1999, but have recently taken 2 days off a week to spend more time with my girlie, and work on my fledgling cake business.

Before leaving Washington State for Holland, I worked for Dept of Labor & Industries for just short of 10 years.

I've spent my entire adult life being "safe" in my employment...it is a wee bit scary to pursue the insecure unknown of making goodies for a new audience. But I think I see promise in the future here. I'll just conquer one Dutch mom at a time, that they NEED cupcakes for birthdays! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhoo...that's me. I'm finding this thread really interesting! Thanks for starting it up!!

susan_nichol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susan_nichol Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #152 of 573

I work for JCPenney Custom Decorating. I am a Studio Coordinator. I schedule appointments for decorators to go to customers homes and I travel to different stores in St.Louis and Columbia MO to train coordinators. I am also an almost full time student in Psychology.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #153 of 573

I am a SAHM to Makaila who is about to be 8 in 1 week and Logan who is 6. I am one of those people who is a "jane of all trades". I can pretty much do anything and everything. I just had my first photo session with my brother and his new family and I was even amazed at how they turned out. Now along with cake orders I have people wanting me to take pictures of thier family.
Besides that, my son is mild Autistic/ADHD and I am busy finding new ways to help pull him through this with natural remedies and special diets.
I am married to an awesome man who is a Firefighter/EMT and we are in love and happy.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #154 of 573

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. icon_wink.gif

My degree is in Radiology, with 5 years of mobile radiology and 5 years of Cath Lab experience. Although, I have spent the last 5 years at home with our four daughters (3, 5, 7, and 12.) While staying home I decided to pursue my interest in photography and I am finishing up my courses. I have always made my girls' birthday cakes, and after donating some cakes for school functions, I have started to receive orders (thankfully cottage foods are permitted in my area!) So, after baking 20 dozen cookies, 11 dozen cinnamon rolls, a birthday cake for a family member, completing my fair cake entry, and photographing a wedding reception (also for a family member) in the past week, I think I need to decide soon! icon_smile.gif (Of course I keep being a mom at the top of my list!)

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #155 of 573

Retired Nursing Instructor; Church Administrator (BEST JOB EVER!); novice cake decorator, painter, soon to be weaver; Gran B to two of the most BEAUTIFUL grandchildren God ever blessed a family with and wife to the GREATEST GUY in the whole world (even though I'm pretty hacked at him now) LOL

Beth in KY

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #156 of 573

I'm in the editorial division of Chemical Abstracts Services. I basically read chemical journals all day and input them into our database which we sell to businesses and universities.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:19pm
post #157 of 573

I am married, have two wonderful children, 26 and 23...(no grandchildren -yet!)
I work in a college as an Administrative Assistant.......love this job, but my passion would be to open a bakery and make cakes and cookies and cupcakes all day!
I enjoy making cakes for family and friends, but I do have 2 paying 'clients' this week!!!!!! YEAH!!!! icon_wink.gif

susan

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:25pm
post #158 of 573

I'm the Executive Office Manager for a mechanical contractor, plus the safety manager, event coordinator, problem solver, phone manager, executive secretary to the CEO and President and anything else they can think of. (Lots of good tools and such here for cake decorating) I love my job - I've been here 10 years and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I bake in the evenings and on the weekends.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #159 of 573

Hi everyone! hope everyone is having an exceptionally great day! My "real" job is my children for sure. I am a stay at home mom and have been for about 14 years now. I have four children, Raven, 13, Sierra, 10, Saige, 5 and Phoenix who is one. I do cakes for family and friends. I love doing them and am soooo happy that this site exist. Oh and also through the years I have been home, I have attended college, gone to massage therapy school and done the C.N.A. course as well. I also want to say how super sweet and nice everyone is on here! Have a super sweet day ya'll!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #160 of 573

Hi CC'ers icon_biggrin.gif

I am an Office Manager at a lounge in Midtown, New York by day and a cakeoholic by night icon_evil.gif

I am blessed to have a job that I enjoy. The people here are like a family and they are all very supportive of my cake decorating. I get a lot of my orders from regulars at the lounge as well as from my co-workers. But I always spoil them for their birthdays. Whenever it is an employee birthday, I make them a personalized mini cake for them to enjoy icon_biggrin.gif

I do all my baking in the evenings and on the weekend while my live in boyfriend is busy playing playstation, lol! He is my big kid and professional cake taster icon_lol.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #161 of 573

HI all! My "real" job is a stay-at-home-homeschooling-mom. Cake decorating enables me to be able to stay home and be with the kids, but also make a little $$. Hubby has never wanted me to work outside the home and when someone asks him if I work, he has ALWAYS answered "Not outside the home." I run around so much between kids and cakes - I don't know how I'd be ABLE to work a job! icon_smile.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #162 of 573

Administrative Assistant for an investment banking firm (aka Do It All for Everyone; also Tech Support; also Mother (even though I don't have any kids or a husband, my "kids" are the other employees...and most are older than me!!); and sometimes Raving Lunatic).

I think we are all just part-time workers and full time bakers since most of our time at "work" or paying gigs is thinking about cake, dreaming about cake, designing cakes, hitting Cake Central, blogging about cakes, etc.

I think work also helps us not go nuts with just baking all the time.

Oh, and since I will probably never get my own store (although it would be fun), I thought of the PERFECT name....Sweet Shenanigans! I need to see if someone else has taken that one, but I say shenanigans all the time and it hit me yesterday, Sweet Shenanigans! I just love saying that...Sweet Shenanigans!

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #163 of 573

I am also trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up ...lol .

I have a Degree in Teacher's Aid and Early Childhood Education and took a few courses in Social Work and Paralegal and now I am venturing into taxation. Phhh! That is alot ...lol.

At this recent time I don't work ... I stay at home with my youngest of four children (14, 10 , 6 ,3) . In the evenings when all is quiet and nothing better to do I bake and practice . I started baking and decorating cakes when my eldest was born ... I always made their Birthday Cakes and just recently with all this pratice and relatives showing off the pictures of the cakes I've made . I am getting a few friends of friends wanting me to make the cakes for . No worries with these friends of friends tho .. we live in a small community and everyone knows everyone ... so I am confident that all with good well .

I am also starting to take Wilton's Courses as well to get better at this fine art of Decorating ... I just love this.

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #164 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

I think we are all just part-time workers and full time bakers since most of our time at "work" or paying gigs is thinking about cake, dreaming about cake, designing cakes, hitting Cake Central, blogging about cakes, etc.

I think work also helps us not go nuts with just baking all the time.

SO TRUE!!! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #165 of 573

I am very impressed with the sheer talent on this thread. You ladies are truly the queens of multitasking! In addition to running my own cake decorating business, I work part time as a headhunter in the city of London. Earlier in my career, I was a hospital microbiologist, a director of a medical centre, and a head of MBA careers department at a business school. My dream is to open my own shop doing cakes and other baked goods.

Doodah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doodah Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #166 of 573

I am a Licensed Paralegal with the Law Society of Upper Canada. I work as a Hearings Coordinator in Worker's Compensation appeals. And, I also work part time for a Cemetery.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #167 of 573

I work for the Post Office and my wife and I decorate cakes. I do all of the baking and most of the decorating. She helps with the designing and keeping me calmed down when I get stressed.

I work nights and decorate during the day and she works days.

We have two children at home, 12 and 9 and I have two daughters from a previous marriage, 21 and 18.

I really love the post office and everyone there loves my projects I bring in and always tell me to quit the USPS and go into business for myself. I've considered it but need much more training.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #168 of 573

WOo HOO! I actually just quit my part time "real job" yesterday! I am now the proud stay at home mom of three boys! I've been on an extended maternity leave and just couldn't go back.

I was a Food Service Supervisor in a local hospital. Responsible for ensuring quality control in the kitchen, and also some clinical nutrition for the patients.

Aah the freedom! Maybe now I can get in a little extra cake practice! icon_wink.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #169 of 573

Cool thread.

Since I'm not loving my day job I'll tell you what I do by night...

Run an independent career services firm called Danton Career Services. I hope to soon expand it's focus into training and instructional design.

I am also a grad student at NC State. I have two children and a husband. And I love cake decorating!!!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #170 of 573

Not much here. I'm a SAHM for the last 6 years and have another three to go before I can join the full time work force again. I've been ready to go back for a LOOONG time now.

Before I had my two boys, 6 and 3, I worked as a retail/manager/merchandiser.

Amy

jennywaldon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywaldon Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:03pm
post #171 of 573

I am a photographer,....see me at www.jennywaldon.com
I recently started doing cakes,...lots to learn. I do baking for family and friends. Married to my best friend we have 2 girls! Almost 16 yr old girl and 11 yr old girl.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #172 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

I work at the Europe headquarters for Cisco Systems in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, doing administrative support for sales. My department specifically arranges loan of Cisco products to customers, to make 'em want more and more of our wonderful products! icon_lol.gif

I went to work at this office as soon as I had my SS# in Holland in August 1999, but have recently taken 2 days off a week to spend more time with my girlie, and work on my fledgling cake business.

Before leaving Washington State for Holland, I worked for Dept of Labor & Industries for just short of 10 years.

I've spent my entire adult life being "safe" in my employment...it is a wee bit scary to pursue the insecure unknown of making goodies for a new audience. But I think I see promise in the future here. I'll just conquer one Dutch mom at a time, that they NEED cupcakes for birthdays! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhoo...that's me. I'm finding this thread really interesting! Thanks for starting it up!!

What a small world! I worked for Cisco Systems in RTP and in Houston before quitting to be a SAHM! I was a Customer Support Engineer for them. icon_smile.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #173 of 573

I am a Member Service Representative at a local credit union (a.k.a. glorified teller!! icon_lol.gif ) I deal with members paperwork, debit cards, loan payments, deposits etc. I enjoy working with the public (for the most part). I have been recommended, by my grandmother, to all of her friends to make their Christmas cookies. I made a huge sampler of cookies for her Christmas party last year, and I got rave reviews! My cousin is also starting her wedding planning business, and she wants me to have first opportunity to get cake business from her brides. icon_eek.gif On top of that, my husband and I are just finishing up the 14+ month long job of building our own house! We just have small things left, but it's been a stressful year!

Thanks to whoever started this thread, it's awesome to see what everyone else does!!

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #174 of 573

I work full time as a teller at a credit union. My two sons are 4 & 2, one in preschool 3 days a week and a sport each season. I do all of mine on Thursday/Friday and usually decorate Friday/Saturday. It usually always happens that I have a cake every weekend for a month and then nothing the next!

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #175 of 573

Kitchen Designer...interior designer.

amandamotley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamotley Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #176 of 573

I work with a financial planning and wealth management team.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #177 of 573

I am in middle management for an oil and gas company.

My DH and I are DINKs... for now. icon_wink.gif

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #178 of 573

I essentially have two jobs aside from cakes, i work at my parent's insurance office as a Customer Representative as well as I go to school and finishing my BBA in Finance. So when a cake comes around I'm all about doing things in advance.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #179 of 573

BELLY DANCER !!
LL

janpolycarp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janpolycarp Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #180 of 573

I work with the Frequent Flyer Division of a Leading Dutch Airline.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%