Buttercream Question?

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm by kakeladi

tiamariad Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 2

If I make a crusting buttercream to crumbcoat a cake am I able to use the same buttercream as a filling for the cake if i thin it down or would I need to make a non crusting buttercream. I've never managed to make a smooth buttercream before but was thinking of having a go at making some tonight. Any tips before I get going would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone who's helped me with questions previously I've learnet so much already in the short time i've been using this site!

1 reply
kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 2

.........buttercream as a filling for the cake if i thin it down or would I need to make a non crusting buttercream.........

A crusting b'c is for all uses icon_smile.gif You don't ev en need to thin it down to use for filling.
For icing your cake, depending on the consistency of the icing you may need to thin it down a bit.
Using a slightly thin consistency for your overall icing should help you get it nice & smooth.
Once it is on the cake as smooth as you can manage it will need to set up/dry until you can touch it w/your finger & not hav e it come up any. Then you can put a piece of paper toweling over the cake and rub lightly w/your hand OR if you have fondant smoothers use that. The finish should be just a smooth as can beicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%