2 Recipes...white Velvet Butter Cake / White Sour Cream

Baking By Rhonda19 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm by tracycakes

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 14

Hi!
I am looking for 2 recipes....

While searching the internet I ran across a cake that was called " White Velvet Butter Cake " the name just makes the cake sound Great! BUt...they wouldn't give you the recipe. Does anyone have this recipe.

The other recipe I am looking for is a White Sour Cream Cake. There was a baker who made a White Sour Cream Cake that was so moist, had a really good taste, and the sour cream taste really came out.
The recipes that I have come across and made come out dense, rather flavorless, etc.... Does anyone have a good Sour Cream recipe??

Thanks
Rhonda

13 replies
Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 14

Whoa, White Velvet Butter Cake sounds divine...I hope someone has it because I would also love to have it. As far as the White Sour Cream Cake I would think the WASC would be perfect, just omit the almond extract. Here's the link for the recipe
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

White Velvet Butter Cake, I gotta have some icon_surprised.gif [/i]

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 14

I don't have the recipe for the White Velvet Butter Cake, but here's the link to the WASC cake. I absolutely love it and have adapted it to many different flavors! icon_smile.gif

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 14

I found a formula that uses egg whites and because of the egg whites used it is called "white velvet". I don't know if you want to give this a try but here it is!

White Velvet Butter Cake

Ingredients:

140 gm. egg white
240 gm. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
300 gm. cake flour
250 gm. sugar
20 gm. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
175 gm. Butter

Method:

(1) Mix egg white with 1/4 cup of milk from the 240 gm. milk. Add in vanilla extract.
(2) Sieve flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
(3) Using a machine, whisk the butter into the flour mixture till flour is moistened. Pour in balance milk and whisk till smooth for 1 or 2 mins.
(4) Add in egg white mixture and whisk till smooth.
(5) Pour into a 9" round tin or separate into two 9" round tins if you want to decorate them.
(6) Bake at 175C for about 60 mins. or till cooked. If the batter is separated into two, cut down baking time. Test with a skewer , insert into the center and if it comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, then it's cooked.
(7) Let the cakes cool in the pans on cooling racks for 10 mins. before unmolding it. Let it cool completely

Optional: Brush with simple sugar before slicing. (Simple sugar is just equal amounts water and sugar coming to a simmer in a small pot, remove from stove and add vanilla extract or any flavoring you would like)

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 14

Here are a few recipes for the White Velvet Butter Cake........

White Velvet Cake

1 1/2 cups butter, softened

1 1/2 cups white sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter flavoured shortening

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

1 tablespoon milk

Instructions:

* Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 round 8 inch pans. Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.
* Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well. *Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Alternately add flour and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour into two 8-inch pans.
* Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool cake completely before icing.
* To make the White Velvet Cream Cheese Icing: Beat shortening and cream cheese together. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar. Add milk until a frosting is formed. (Add more milk if necessary.)

White Velvet Butter Cake

"This is the softest and most delicate of all butter cakes. The butter and vanilla give the cake an off-white colour but also contribute delicious flavour. This versatile cake blends well with just about any buttercream except for chocolate - which tends to overwhelm the delicate flavour."

Two 9-inch by 1 1/2 inch cake pans greased, bottoms lined with parchment or wax paper, and then greased again and floured.

4 1/2 large egg whites (4 full liquid ounces, 4.75 ounces, 135 grams)
1 (liquid) c. milk (8.5 ounces, 242 grams)
2 1/4 tsp. vanilla (9 grams)
3 c. sifted cake flour (10.5 ounces, 300 grams)
1 1/2 c. sugar (10.5 ounces, 300 grams)
1 tablespoon + 1 tsp. baking powder (19.5 grams)
3/4 tsp. salt (5 grams)
12 tablespoons softened unsalted butter* (6 ounces, 170 grams) * Must be softened

In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 c. milk and vanilla.

In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 c. milk. Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed (high speed if using a hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate and develop the cake's structure. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with a spatula. The pans will be about 1/2 full. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center. The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of the pans only after removal from the oven.

Let the cakes cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a small metal spatula and invert onto greased wire racks. To prevent splitting, re-invert so that the tops are up and cool completely before wrapping airtight.

Finished height: Each layer is 1 1/8 inches.

Store: Airtight: 2 days room temperature, 5 days refrigerated, 2 months frozen. Texture is most perfectly moist the same day as baking.

White Velvet Butter Cake from the Cake Bible
This makes a 1 layer 8 inch cake (I halved it from the book, if you want to make a 2 layer cake, just double this)

Ingredients
2 egg whites (2 liquid ounces)
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (5 1/4 oz.)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter room temp.

Preheat oven to 350
Grease an 8 inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper then grease again and flour. Set aside.

In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/8th of a cup of milk and vanilla.

In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter and remaining milk. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed (high speed if using a hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate and develop the cakes structure. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth surface with a spatula. The pan will be half full. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a tester inserted near the centre of the cake comes out clean. and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the centre. The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of the pan only after removal from the oven. Also jiggle this cake and if it looks wet in the middle don't put a toothpick in the middle, it will deflate. Don't test it until in looks set, but this can go from wet in the centre to done pretty quick.
Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a small metal spatula and invert onto greased wire racks. To prevent splitting, re-invert so that the top is up and cool completely before wrapping air tight or frosting.

Good luck!

Cheers,
ally

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 14

Ally, have you tried all 3? If so, which one do you prefer?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 14

The white velvet cake recipe can be found at your local library if you check out a copy of The Cake Bible. I checked out the book a few months ago. I made the cake but did not copy the recipe. My cake was so moist it was falling apart. I'm not sure if that was because I used a carton of egg whites, rather than just cracking eggs and using actual egg whites. The carton claimed to be real egg whites. I plan to try it again one day using actual egg whites that I separated to see if that makes a difference.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 14

i cant wait to try the white velvet butter cake. Any preference which recipe I should try first? icon_confused.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 14

adonisthegreek1 - the recipe that I just posted is from the cake bible! Great book!!! icon_smile.gif

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 14

Hi,

I like recipe #1 and #3 is from the cake bible! and that one is good too!

Cheers,
ally

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellejoey

adonisthegreek1 - the recipe that I just posted is from the cake bible! Great book!!! icon_smile.gif

Bellejoey, do you think mine was so moist to the point of falling apart, because of using the carton egg whites, rather than just separating and using actual egg whites?

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you everyone!!! I can't wait to try the recipes that were given for the White Velvet Butter Cake.

As for the Sour Cream Cake recipe I was asking for..... I have made the one that was listed.. But I really don't like the way it turns out, so I wanted to try another recipe.

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 14

Is the White Velvet Butter Cake dense enough to be used for a wedding cake?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 14

I bought The Cake Bible and made the White Velvet Butter Cake and it was awful. But I've made several cakes from that book and haven't had success with any of them.

I made the WASC frequently and it gets raves every time. I thought it had a little too much almond flavor and only put half the amount in the next time. I liked it better and other people seems to like it better also.

Let us know how your white velvet cake goes. I may have to try it again but I've been really disappointed with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%