Carving A 3D Cake....

Decorating By kello Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm by kello

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering what is the best tool to carve a cake? There are some details that I have to do and I only have a large serrated knife.....any advice?
Thanks!

8 replies
avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 9

I'm still pretty new, but I've done trains, cars, and a dinosaur before. I have a few knives that I work, but maybe those who do more will have other suggestions:

I do use a large serated bread knife for large cuts. I also have this small thin-bladed slightly curved knife that came in a knife set that I LOVE. It's thin almost to the point of being flexible, and it's a narrow knife with a very narrow point, great for small details.

I usually only need those two tools. I suppose in a pinch any small serated knife could work.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 9

Do you have a paring knife, like the kind used for peeling potatoes or apples? If not, then just be VEry careful icon_lol.gif Seiously though, just carve a little at a time. Step back and look at it to check if it's the right size/shape; if not, shave off a little more. Remember u can always take more off (like hair) but it's very hard to put it back icon_razz.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 9

Personally, I like the long serrated knife. I use that 90% of the time and I do a lot of carving.

kello Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for all the suggestions.....The narrow thin-bladed knife, I think is a fish knife. Maybe I can find one of those. I was scared to use the large serrated knife in the nooks and krannies. icon_smile.gif I do have a paring knife, but wasn't sure if it would "pull" or tear the cake without a serrated edge. I will try them all on some scrap cake and see what works.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

Most of my detail carving is done with my tapered angled spatula. icon_smile.gif

Deanna

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:07am
post #7 of 9

I just use a plain old steak knife, it's worked perfect. I haven't done a whole lot of carving though, just a couple cars and a few little things. Since a steak knife is serrated and has a nice point to it, it's all I've needed so far.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #8 of 9

you guys will NOT believe what me and my husband used on our recent carved "Guinness" groom's cake! We used a potato peeler! that's right! a potato peeler...when the cake was frozen it worked WONDERS for the angle we were trying to get! i would say use it if you are trying to do something curved...I might try it again though...the key was *frozen* cake! other than that whatever knife does it best...I like the shorter knives particularly. icon_smile.gif

kello Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 9

Wow! A potato peeler!! I always start with a frozen cake, so I will definitely try that!! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%