Piping And Flooding With Royal Icing

Baking By jjandhope Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 6:38am by jjandhope

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #1 of 5

I just made my first attempt at decorating cookies with RI. The only thing I am dissatisfied with is that after flooding, you can still see the piping. I thought it would blend together more. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the piping and flooding appear more unified??

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 5

you have to do it quickly......once you get more comfortable you can just flood without piping first...that's what I prefer (I take the easy way out lol)...I get my royal the consistency of elmer's glue and I use a little plastic baby spoon, I put a blob on the cookie and use the spoon to spread it evenly to the edges and around the shape I'm after.......works perfectlly.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 5

Seriously khalstead? I love that idea

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 5

I do it the same way Khalstead does it for large areas. I have an old demitasse spoon that works well. Even on the small areas, I never outline unless I need a contrasting color for the outline. I just put some RI in a bag and flood the area.

Deanna

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:38am
post #5 of 5

wow! I'll have to try that.

I also like the idea of outlining in one color and flooding in another, but when I did mine, some of my piping showed and some didn't (the flodding spilled over the edges). Maybe it was too thin?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%