So Confused!!!!

Lounge By cakebaby59 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 2:04am by cakebaby59

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #1 of 13

We have so much going on right now and I am so conflicted and confused!!! I don't know rather to wind my butt or scratch my watch!!! LOL.
My dh works in the motor home industry and the company started laying off when gas prices started going up. They make high end motor coaches that start at $500,000. Well...last Thursday my dh got his walking papers! So...here we are down here in good ole East Texas and the plain fact is my dh is not going to be able to find a job making anywhere near what he was. However...he did a phone interview with John Deere...in North Dakota...and got hired!!! He will be making more than he was here!!!
So...we are moving BACK to North Dakota and the cake stuff I had going for myself here is going to the wind...literally!!! I am going to be living in a small town, 20,000 people and no-where to teach. I don't think it will be difficult to get some cake business going on the private end...but I will sure miss teaching. Although I have only been doing it for a little while I absolutely love it!!! And the nearest place to get supplies for teaching is in Fargo which is 99 miles away. Walmart carries some...but not enough. So...here I go again trying to find a place for myself.
Poor pitiful me!!! LOL Thanks for letting me vent...Linda

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 13

Keep your chin up. There are more than a few wonderful cake decorators who live in small towns, and have people flocking to them from all over their state and surrounding, just to buy cakes.

Nobody likes starting over, but I have the feeling that after you've settled in, you're going to be just fine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 13

You stated that t "there is no place to teach" but there is. If you love teaching then you must be a good teacher. People who have a passion for teaching teach everywhere! Think outside the box. You don't need a big store to have a class, you can start with a little class for kids, a few students in a club like setting. demos for different groups-anything and build on that.

My oil painting teacher's husband lost his job and they had to move twice. The first time she moved she left over 80 students, some attending classes more than twice a week. Many like myself had been with her for more than 8 years. She started new slowly and now both her commissioned paintings and her classes are doing better than ever.

Good luck with this new adventure.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 13

I think you'll do great. You're obviously an entrepreneur and being faced with a new beginning is scary but I know you'll do great. Even though it's such a world of uncertainty I hope you can enjoy it all.

Take Care!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 13

It could be worse and you could be living four hours from Fargo like I am. icon_lol.gif

I'm in the Turtle Mountains and we just got a Walmart 45 minutes from us, before that we had to go to Devil's Lake or Minot and both are about two hours from us.

The cake store in Fargo will take orders over the phone though. I'm not sure what they charge for shipping but if you have someone going there they don't charge anything to bag up what you want. I find it very useful when my husband's friend comes home for a weekend and I need something. I know that I'm getting what I want because I talk to the lady at the store myself and it's easy on the friend since it only takes a minute to pick up my stuff.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 13

The anticipation is the worst part of something like this. I'm sure that everything will turn out just fine.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:19am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaby59

I am going to be living in a small town, 20,000 people

Oh my goodness, thanks for the laugh. "Small" town indeed. Here, that would be a city. I live in (well, near) a small town -- pop 1400. The big town has about 5000 people.

Anyway, your town must have some sort of further ed -- you could check with them and see if you can offer a course through them. Our further ed office is always looking for courses. Mind you, our further ed courses fit on an 8 1/2 by 11 page.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:31am
post #8 of 13

Just think of them as 20,000 students who don't know yet that they want to be cake decorators. You'll do fine!
Check with the home-ec teachers at the schools and offer to do a demo. That should stimulate some interest, among the teachers and the students.
Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

mbelgard Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

Quote:

Oh my goodness, thanks for the laugh. "Small" town indeed. Here, that would be a city. I live in (well, near) a small town -- pop 1400. The big town has about 5000 people.

In North Dakota 20,000 is a city. icon_lol.gif The largest city in the state only has a population of about 100,000 and the entire state is under 700,000.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

Quote:

In North Dakota 20,000 is a city. icon_lol.gif The largest city in the state only has a population of about 100,000 and the entire state is under 700,000.

My goodness! Indpls has a pop of over a million, and I had one boss from California who called it a "small town"! icon_surprised.gif

Look at it this way ... in such a small community, it won't take long for everyone to hear about what great work you do!! thumbs_up.gif

mbelgard Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

Quote:

My goodness! Indpls has a pop of over a million, and I had one boss from California who called it a "small town"! icon_surprised.gif

Look at it this way ... in such a small community, it won't take long for everyone to hear about what great work you do!! thumbs_up.gif

And I have to listen to my in-laws and others B!@$# about how huge Fargo is whenever they have to go there. icon_rolleyes.gif My MIL really gets me since she grew up in California and learned to drive out there but she still complains about Fargo. icon_confused.gif

There's so little traffic in this state that the driving age is 14, you have to take driver's ed and have a permit for six months. My oldest is almost 10 and is counting the days, he wants his own motorcycle. icon_cry.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 13

Have you thought of opening your own small store and teach out of it? The lady that taught me 28 years ago, just closed her doors this year. I loved going there to shop and learn. I never went to Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Wallyworld until she closed. She sold top of the line supplies and gave great advise. Good Luck to you and hope you find your way.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #13 of 13

You guys are great...I feel so much better!!! Now I am actually looking forward to the move...well...almost!!! LOL. Thanks so much for your encouragment...I truly appreciate it!!!
Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%