Help....pink And Camo Wedding Cake Ideas....

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm by dragonflydreams

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:37am
post #1 of 27

Help.... I need ideas for a wedding cake that incorporates both pink and camo but is still classy. The bride wants pink and the groome wants camo. I suggested a grooms cake for the groome but they only want one cake. I have no idea were to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

26 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #2 of 27

Okay.

A camo wedding cake that is classy? What an oxymoron.

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:58am
post #3 of 27

Instead of making the camo green, just make the camo pink - kills two birds with one stone. My husband takes my two daughters hunting and bought them pink camo stuff to wear. He calls it "girlie-flauge". You could add pink flowers and a few swags - may not look too bad.

shelly-101 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #4 of 27

YA....I know but what do i do. I just have to smile and do it i guess i just have no idea were to start, and those were the brides exact words pink and camo but still classy.

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #5 of 27

what about doing the cake in pink and then maybe doing camo braid borders?

bonnebouche Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:16am
post #6 of 27

ok. here is a wild crazy stab with a terrible midnight-and-I-am tired drawing.
LL

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:20am
post #7 of 27

the picture didnt work for me

bonnebouche Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:26am
post #8 of 27

can you see it now?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #9 of 27

cant see pic yet but i have seen pink greys and whites done in a camo style. worked great

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #10 of 27

Teena marie, I was thinking the same thing. Pink cake w. camo borders. I was thinking along the lines of a camou strip of fondant border. Maybe try not to get the green too dark...put different colors of pink roses and tie in the green from the camo by using the same color green for the leaves??? Play down the camo part as much as possible. Just a thought...this is hard to picture!

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:44am
post #11 of 27

Okay here is a really bad sketch. But you could do the cake in pink, do the second tier in the 'cage' style with pink underneath and camo caging (can even add little pink dots along the caging. and then do camo dots on the rest.
LL

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:50am
post #12 of 27

Might also consider adding cream colors to the caging to soften the pink camo effect... just a thought. if you havent seen the caging before then i can find the pic i saw before that i like for you

shelly-101 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:01am
post #13 of 27

thanks for the great ideas guys, i really like the idea of the pink cakes with the camo borders down playing the camo as much as possible but still making everyone happy at the same time i think this might work u guys a great thanks again

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:16am
post #14 of 27

No problem, if you need any more idea/help let us know. my favorite color is pink and i was in the army for three years so i've found ways to combine the two before lol.

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:31am
post #15 of 27

I think it would be neat if it was done like you see some cakes , where one side is white and the other chocolate, just do it pink and camo, and them use pink and green flowers to cascade down to cover up where the colors meet. You could even do pink flowers on the cam side and camo swags on the pink side. Here is a pic of the kind of cake I am talking about
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_22262.html

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:52am
post #16 of 27

Camo can also be brownish fall colours, not just army green colours. Is the camo because he is millitary or because he is a hunter? If he's a hunter, think forestlike. Go to the Cabela's website and look at their hunting patterns. There is black and white camo for winter as well. And as for the classy, I would think more on the lines of making the design simple/elegant. I wouldn't want it too busy with camo in the mix. I find the combo odd as well, and I have to think that if they think it is a good combo, they may not have the most discriminating of taste.

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:01am
post #17 of 27

this is the 'cage' look i am talking about for the 2nd tier. with camo stripes and cream or pink roping or dots to soften the look.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=79939

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:01am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by booberfrog

I think it would be neat if it was done like you see some cakes , where one side is white and the other chocolate, just do it pink and camo, and them use pink and green flowers to cascade down to cover up where the colors meet. You could even do pink flowers on the cam side and camo swags on the pink side. Here is a pic of the kind of cake I am talking about
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_22262.html

I think that is a great idea. You could make fondant figures for the bride and groom and have the groom above the camo side and the bride above the pink side and they could be holding hands in the middle.

margaretb Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:11am
post #19 of 27

I just went to cabela's myself (as hunting season is upon us), and I thought for the camo part (if it is hunting), you could do lots of fall leaves cut out and layered all over. I like camo better than pink, so I would go for camo cake and pink accents. I made a wedding cake for my cousin that was a (imho poor) knock off of a duff cake and it was a fondant cake with fondant leaves layered around the bottom of each tier (each leaf sticking up). So maybe a pink cake with leaves around it would fulfill the requirements.

shelly-101 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 27

The cage idea is really pretty.....Yes it is because the groom is a avid hunter and wants the greenish camo. Not my style but the client is always right. I think i will do a practice cake today with the cage idea and see how that turns out. I will take a pic and see what u all think. thanks again for the ideas it has really been a big help

margaretb Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #21 of 27

Actual hunter camo is NOT blotches of colour -- it is all about leaves and sticks etc etc. I bet if you figure out a design that is more leafy than blotchy, he would agree to it -- it probably never crossed his mind that a cake could have a more realistic camo pattern. I would have slapped my husband if he had wanted a camo pattern on our wedding cake. Well, NOW I would probably say, go ahead, whatever makes you happy, but at the time there would have been sparks.

I thought that cage design was very striking (in the good way).

Teena_Marie Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:18am
post #22 of 27

i cant wait to see your practice cake! hope you have fun doing it.

Teena_Marie Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:54am
post #23 of 27

Dont ask me why, but I was dreaming about this cake and woke up wide awake at 3 am with an idea! Yes, I know Im crazy but I just couldnt go back to sleep till I got this out. This could be totally messed up because like i said.. i just woke up and its almost 4 am now! But what about camo butterflies added to the cake? not too many of course, just a few strategically placed. I read that all you need to make them is rice paper, edible markers, piping gel, black stamens, and then some royal icing for the bodies. The directions I found are here..

http://www.cakecentral.com/article16-How-To-Make-Realistic-Edible-Butterflies.html

And I included a sketch of a couple camo butterflies I did. Does anyone else see the potential for this? or am i in a middle of the night delierium?
LL

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:32pm
post #25 of 27

Butterfly idea -- brilliant.

Plus my husband is also an an avid hunter and he's gigantic, so it amuses me to imagine giving him butterflies.

Just to throw this in, another hunting idea is animals in silouhette (did I spell that right?) -- like a moose or buck or whatever. That would be hunting themed without having to be camo.

Teena_Marie Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:17pm
post #26 of 27

Did the butterfly pic work? I'm still trying to figure out how to work everything, so if not let me know and i will post it again.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #27 of 27

. . . as far a coming up with a design . . . go through the galleries and find something you LOVE . . . and try to incorporate small elements of the pink/camo idea based on the cake you LOVE . . . for example, maybe the camo portion will only be ribbon . . . I have attached a camo photo for color ideas (hope it shows on your monitor the same as on mine?)
Image . . . I think the two shades of pink and the two shades of gray (or green if you prefer) could be incorporated in a wedding cake and look "classy" with the right design . . . but it will take a little tweeking and creative license to make it work . . . can't wait to see what you come up with . . . icon_biggrin.gif . . . I would try to keep the colors "fresh" looking . . . not the typical "muddy" muted colors of real camo . . . you could also use flowers (gumpaste or real) in the same colors as the camo (shades of pink and green) to tie it all together and keep a "fresh" feel about it . . . HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%