Need Help Fast- Icing Shortning Question

Decorating By Edee Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 1:57am by lorrieg

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 7

Does the shortning have to be all vetetable shortning? I have always heard to use it and have always used the all vegetable but I just realized I bought the wrong thing. Will it work with the shortning that is made from meat fats and vegetable oils?

My recipe is all shortning, no butter. It is an all shortning buttercream recipe. Please help !!! Cake has to be finished soon.

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #2 of 7

Do you mean you bought lard?

I would only use all vegetable shortening. There are some recipes for all butter bc if you don't want to make a market run for the all veg. shortening.

Edee Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

Well I sent my husband to the store to get the right kind, thanks for helping me out. I'm not even going to try to use the other stuff, I'm afraid I will make someone sick.

Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 7

To be safe Edee, I wouldn't use the one with meat fats....the flavor will definitely be different. Sorry icon_sad.gif

Edee Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 7

thankyou so much.

Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 7

Thank goodness for hubbys king.gif

Glad I could help thumbs_up.gif
Good luck,
Deb

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 7

Don't throw out the lard! It makes the best pie crusts. Very tender. I get Tenderflake here and they have an excellent recipe on the box that I have never had go wrong in many, many years. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%