What Should I Do?

Decorating By jukesbox Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 1:11am by Deb_

jukesbox Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I've got a wedding cake (my first official wedding cake) next Saturday. I've started baking my layers to put in the freezer (this cake has 11 cakes/22 layers). Anyway, one of the cakes is a 14" funfetti. I mixed up 2 cake mixes with extender for the first layer. I filled the pan and had a little batter left over. So I thought for the next layer, I would only mix up 1 mix with extender and add the extra I had from the first. Okay, so I have both cooling and noticed that the first one is about 3/8" taller than the second one. My question is, should I redo the second layer or do you think that 3/8" is going to make a difference. I don't want them to cut into the cake and say "Oh my gosh! Look at that cake! The top layer isn't as tall as the bottom layer! Who's the chick who made that cake?"

Thanks for you help!

Anna

3 replies
mw902 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #2 of 4

I don't know if structure or stability would be a factor, but I think to look at a cake with a 3/8 inch difference would only be noticed by the maker! We are way to critical of ourselves! And congrats on your first wedding cake, I have had 3 people ask me to do theirs and I am to chicken!

edited for bonehead spellings!

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #3 of 4

You can always level the 2nd cake to equal the same size as the 1st one.

Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

You can always level the 2nd cake to equal the same size as the 1st one.

Definitely level it to the same size icon_smile.gif

Are you going to torte and fill each layer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%