So, What's The Scoop On Dragees?

Decorating By mocakes Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 5:53am by ceshell

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 4

I LOVE dragees....with all the colors out there, they look fabulous on cakes, cookies, etc....but when I went to a cake supply store here the owners said they don't order them or carry them because they are "non-edible". icon_eek.gif

Why do I see so many cakes, etc, with dragees if they contain levels of mercury or whatever it is?

Are they really bad for you....or what's the scoop??

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 4

Yes, they always have been non edible but that didn't stop people from using & eating themicon_smile.gif

Some states (CA for sure) banned the sale of them yrs ago. Mind you, not the making, or eating of th em but the sale!icon_sad.gif

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #3 of 4

I think it depends on the type you buy. If you go to fancy flours only the super metallic looking ones say "cannot be shipped to california". the more pearl looking ones I think are fine.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:53am
post #4 of 4

On pg 3 of the following post I typed up an explanation about the problem w/silver dragees, at least here in California, plus a link to a great LA Times article about the topic. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-595928-30.html

Please read! When I first learned that dragees are NOT illegal here in CA I really got ticked off about the whole thing and it annoys the cr%p out of me everytime I read a site stating "Illegal to ship to CA".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%