Sticky Fondant

Decorating By CakeMommie Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 1:21pm by CakeMommie

CakeMommie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 3

I have never have a problem with sticky fondant at any of the places I've worked at. We always refrigerate or freeze the cake before putting the fondant on. Works fine, no moisture issues. Whenever I try freezing them at home, condensation builds up immediately on the buttercream when the cake comes out of the freezer. It in ends up making the fondant very sticky (even with the use of alot of cornstarch). I'm assuming that industrial fridges put out less moisture. My question is this - does the sticky fondant eventually dry out or should I allow the cake to come back to room temperature before covering it in fondant?

2 replies
KHalstead Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 3

it does eventually dry out.....however if the cake is too cold it can actually cause some air pockets between the bc and the fondant but that's easily solved with a straight pin...once everything is dry, pop the bubble with a straight pin and use your fondant smoother to smooth over the fondant and the little prick hole will disappear

CakeMommie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks. I think it was just the humidity that day also. EVERYTHING got sticky! I've never seen dry fondant and gum paste decorations absorb moisture and start to sink, sag, and just get sticky. I definitely need to work on climate control. I also use a swiss meringue buttercream for my cakes... not the crusting kind everyone talks about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%