Cake Decorating Supplies In Alberta?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 8:32pm by KathleenC

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 12

To all the Canadians -- where do you buy cake decorating supplies? I go to Michael's and get Wilton stuff, but I would like to know if there are any stores (esp in Edmonton or Lloydminster which are the two cities nearest to me) where I could get things. If you order online, where do you order from?

TIA

11 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 12

Hi, I live in the Ottawa Valley and I buy from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga, Creative Cutters in Richmond Hill and from the US. HTH

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #3 of 12

Honestly, getting cake supplies in Edmonton SUCKS! What are you looking for? Edmonton has Nicholson Equipment but I have not yet been there are they are only open Monday to Friday 8-5 (funny, my full time job hrs), I bought some wicked cookie cutters at Rafters for $.99 yesterday. I also shop online quite a bit, and search ebay.

margaretb Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #4 of 12

Without specifically needing to buy any of this RIGHT NOW, I would like to see the other kinds of pans that people talk about, the americolor stuff, leaf veiner (I bought the wilton gumpaste flower kit, but one of the veiners it shows in the book did NOT come with the kit, grr), other odds and ends I have heard about on this site, and I also want to buy some fondant just to see what the texture is supposed to be like, so I would like to check out some Satin Ice (although I will probably be stuck buying a small pack of the wilton stuff since that's what you find at Michaels).

What kind of stuff do you order online? Do you have problems bringing in food items like fondant or colours or flavours? Do you get hit with big customs charges? What are good sites that ship to Canada?

If you think it sucks getting stuff in Edmonton, you should try rural Alberta. There is one store 45 minutes away from me that I discovered has some wilton stuff, but it is almost like they walked down the cake decorating isle at the big craft store and randomly pulled a few products off the shelves to sell in their store.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:51am
post #5 of 12

Hi,

Several months ago I ordered a whole bunch of magic line cake pans from the US to Calgary and it was way cheaper even with the shipping than buying it at our local stores (I think it was PM HobbyLobby that carried the ML) but make sure you ship via USPS not UPS as I did. I couldn't understand why it was so much cheaper to ship via UPS until UPS billed me for a brokerage fee (It cost more than the shipping itself). If I had shipped via USPS I would only have had to pay duty only not an "extra borkerage fee" and it would have been a whole lot cheaper. Oh well, you live and learn I guess! I'm sure there are other sites available to but in case you are wondering at the time the best deals I found were from cooksdream.com. The also carry SatinIce and americolour and a whole bunch of other caking stuff. I found that if the more I order the cheaper it gets for shipping and they also have discounts depending on how much you buy. Another site I found since coming down here is jesters cake supply http://www.fondantsource.com/ and they offer 10% for members of cakecentral (If memory serves you put in cakecentral for the coupon code). Both companies have great customer service, however since I never ordered anything from Jesters while in Canada I'm not sure if they deliver there or not.

Also, while I was still there I had contacted Satin Ice and asked them where I could get Satin Ice from in Canada and this is what they emailed me:

Please contact La Gaterie 866-319-0989. You can speak to Levon or Rita.

Thank you for your interest in Satin Ice.

HTH!! P.S. How's the weather up there? I miss it now as I'm dying in the humidity but I'm sure when winter hits I'll love it!

icon_lol.gif

lorrieg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:34am
post #6 of 12

Satin Ice is available through Golda's. And I forgot to mention McCall's Cake decorating in Toronto.

I still order from the US & the UK. Mostly what I get charged (and not always) is GST & PST which I would have to pay here anyway.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 12

I live in Calgary and I order most of my stuff from online sites..Some in Canada like Golda's but mostly in the US.I order from GSA...Country Kitchensa.....Ebay sellers.....Cooks Dream in Spokane.....Fancy Flours..but their shipping is expensive so if you order..make it worth it! Here is a link to a online site in Canada who sells Americolor.

http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/default.asp

lorrieg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 12

thanks kiddiecakes! It's nice to see the Americolor in large bottles. I don't see the small ones though. Guess we'll still have to get those from GSA. icon_smile.gif

They have pistachio paste!!! woohoo! I've been looking for a Canadian source for that for ages and ages.

margaretb Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much everyone -- this is extremely helpful (although I suppose DH will not be too pleased if he catches me ordering more stuff!!)

Margaret

aliciahere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciahere Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 12

Hey everybody, there is a new online cake decorating store and it's based out of Beaumont, AB - just outside of Edmonton:

www.cakemischief.com

RobynLynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLynda Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 12

Bulk Barn is an excellent and fairly inexpensive store to get cake supplies from. Its far cheaper than michaels, and the same product!

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 12

I was also going to mention Cake Mischief, although their selection doesn't seem to be as expansive as Golda's in Ontario.  I have ordered from Golda's, as it's cheaper (even with the shipping) than our local cake supply store, as well as Michaels (unless you have a coupon...amazing what you can save with a 50% off coupon  icon_biggrin.gif).

There's another online site called Flour Confections.  They seem to have a good selection as well.  (I believe they're a member here as well)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%