Chocolate Clay/fondant Mix?-- Has Anyone Tried This?

Decorating By penniethewoo Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 11:06am by JenniferMI

penniethewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penniethewoo Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 14

I recently came accross the idea of using a mixture of fondant and (I think) chocolate clay. It stated that is could be rolled thinner and had a longer working time and tastes better than plain fondant.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this or knows how to make this. All I know is that they use the pettinice brand of fondant and merck's brand white chocolate.

I saw on the MMF recipe that it said you could add 2 oz. of melted chocolate to it. Do you think that is that the same thing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-penniethewoo

13 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:37am
post #2 of 14

I've tried this. It can be rolled thin and is pretty forgiving (allows you to fix folds, etc) but is pretty soft. I found it difficult to do a large cake with it since you have to pick up such a large sheet.

I don't have my recipe with me, but I can look for it when I get home if you want to pm me. I'm not positive I still have it though.. icon_redface.gif

It DOES taste pretty good... another alternative is using chocopan fondant, it is pretty similar.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 14

Oh to cover a cake with?? Hmm, no.

But I made some kind of wild concoction with gum paste, fondant and candy clay and it was the bombshabomb to mold with.

icon_biggrin.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 14

I've mixed them together and covered cake with it. It worked fine for me. I use my regular modeling chocolate recipe and mix it with regular fondant. I don't care for MMF so I haven't mixed the modeling chocolate with that, so I can't help you there.

Deanna

penniethewoo Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 14

So how much longer does this take to dry/set up?

penniethewoo Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:09am
post #6 of 14

Ok I was getting set to make this and I realized, I wasn't sure what the ratio would be of fondant to chocolate clay. . . I can't believe I forgot this question. . .

Surely it isn't half to half.That would be too much right? What about 2parts fondant to 1part choc clay?

What do you think. . .

Thanks again for your help!

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #7 of 14

What you are referring to is Jennifer Dontz's Chocolate fondant recipe. It is wonderful and is all I use now. Her recipe's are on her Dvd which you can pick up at www.jenniferdontz.com. Definitely worth buying both dvds.

The fondant def is the best tasting I have worked with yet! And goes on wonderfully!!!

hth

Jessica icon_smile.gif

penniethewoo Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 14

Ok I was getting set to make this and I realized, I wasn't sure what the ratio would be of fondant to chocolate clay. . . I can't believe I forgot this question. . .

Surely it isn't half to half.That would be too much right? What about 2parts fondant to 1part choc clay?

What do you think. . .

Thanks again for your help!

penniethewoo Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 14

Not really sure why that last post went up again. . . Sorry!

But thanks Jessica, I guess I'll have to get those DVDs. . .

"What you are referring to is Jennifer Dontz's Chocolate fondant recipe. It is wonderful and is all I use now. Her recipe's are on her Dvd which you can pick up at www.jenniferdontz.com. Definitely worth buying both dvds."

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 14

It's called Pearl Clay and it's Jennifer Dontz's recipe. You can get it on her fondant frills DVD. It's not meant to cover a whole cake, but it's made for embellishments. And yes, it tastes great! icon_biggrin.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 14

Pearl clay is used for accents and decorations and her pearls. It has the fondant and candy clay too. Her Chocolate fondant is used on the cake and uses both fondant and candy clay as well. They have different ratios.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfmaldonado

Pearl clay is used for accents and decorations and her pearls. It has the fondant and candy clay too. Her Chocolate fondant is used on the cake and uses both fondant and candy clay as well. They have different ratios.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

YES!! What Jess said! icon_lol.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #13 of 14

I have to get those videos!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:06am
post #14 of 14

Hi sugar friends!

Yes, Jessica is correct. My choc. fondant is a semi-homemade fondant that I add a choc. mixture to. You definately can cover a cake with this, it performs great! I use it on all my fondant covered cakes. The pearl clay is a product I developed to make brilliant pearls. It's almost all choc. and works so wonderfully for pressed lace, side ribbons and many other fondant frills.

If you have any questions on either product, please ask away or PM me ok? You also can e-mail me

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%