How Can I Make My Cake Look Like This-Picture.

Decorating By karapags Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 12:16am by karapags

karapags Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I have to make a cake next weekend that looks like this crystal. She wants it to be a purple/bluish color. It has to be very small like a 6' cake. How would you make the cake look like all those layers of crystals. She wants it in buttercream. I am going to make it with bluish/purple crystals on the side but I am trying to figure out the best way to make the top it it look like the picture. I have to make a boy and girl penguin on top.

Thanks so much.

Kara
LL

6 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 7

Well you're going to need to paint it and then after it's completely dry brush on some luster for shine.

PollyMaggs Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

You could make a poured sugar plaque to place ontop of the cake

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 7

I would roll slightly different shades of purple fondant very thin, cut circles or ovals of varying sizes (little smaller than the cake top to account for it spreading on the final roll) with the lightest one being the smallest, stack them up and roll them just enough to flatten it into one piece, cut it the shape you need for the cake and then, once it's on the cake, paint over it with purple color thinned down with vodka. Then the sides I would do with gray frosting and put purple and white sugar crystals on it. But I'm sure there's an easier way icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and if you do it my way, start with your purple fondant a little lighter than you want your finished product, so when you paint over it it doesn't end up too dark and look black.

all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 7

for that translucent look, couldn't you use piping gel?

feliciangel Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 7

what about piping gel?

karapags Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. I will try out a few things during the week.

Kara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%