Do I Need/want 2 Kas?

Decorating By kutabby Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 2:57am by kutabby

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 17

I have a good KA. But, a friend of mine got one for her wedding 7yrs ago that she's never even opened. She thinks it's just a step above what I have and is willing to sell it to me for $150 - otherwise she is going to put it on ebay. I'm tempted. But, I have made my husband promise me that he will get me another bowl and paddle attachment for my current KA for Christmas icon_smile.gif I'm just starting out selling cakes and cookies, so I'm not sure if it'd be a wise investment or leaping w/out looking icon_smile.gif Opinions?

16 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 17

I personally love having 2 KAs. I have a 4.5 qt and a 6 qt. It's very convenient, especially when I have a larger ( or smaller) batch of something or when I'm making a sponge cake....yolks in one, whites in the other!
If it won't be a financial hardship and you're sure you'll use it, I say go for it.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 17

a second KA is always good.. i'd have one if i could afford it lol.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 17

I think for the price you can get a new new one unless it's a bigger size. I have 1 kitchenaid, 1 bosch, and 1 handheld and I "need" them all! It's so nice to have more than one machine. If it's a good price for the model then I would say to definitely go for it. I would compare prices though first.

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 17

I have 2 KA's as well......I love it. One is a 4.5 qt and one is a 6 or 7 qt (I can't remember, one flips up and the other has a leaver to bring the bowl up). If I need to make a cake and then icing or cookies, I can get them going at the same time without having to wash bowls. My bigger one makes the NFSC much better than my small one.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 17

Run don't walk to your friend to get her KA. The new paddle and bowl will ring up close to $80 anyway...you'll hardly come across an offer of half price again!!

Tell your friend I have dibs on the KA from her next wedding, ok! haha

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 17

I too say go for it, I have 4, hehehehehehe! 2 pink and 1 yellow artisans and a black pro 600, I wouldn't trade any of them... I am working my way up to the Hobart though icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 17

I say GRAB IT! $150 is a bargain for a basically new KA you know the history of, unlike an eBay purchase. I have 2...however, because of limited counter space, there is no room to leave both out all the time. But it gives me easy access to use 2 bowls and 2 paddles when I need to.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 17

I would verify the size first. If it's a 6 qt. I would say go for it! I have two (a 4.5 and a 6 qt) and I love having them both, but I like having the bigger size more than having two.

I got my 6 qt brand new for $250 delivered earlier this year (sign up at kitchenaid.com and they will send you emails with the specials). So if the KA that your friend has is the same as the one you already have, I would think the extra bowl and paddle would be fine (especially if you are short on space). But if it's bigger - I would get it.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 17

i just have the one ka and two hand mixers (got the hand mixers together as a freebie with some oreck airfilters) the hand mixers are good and belive it or not my kids use the hand mixers lol.. i keep them around as back ups for my KA

my ka is only a 4.5 quart but i can do double cake mix batches in it no problem. i'd love a nice heavy duty 6 quart though oh yes. are they heavier then a 4.5 quart? mine must weigh over 20lbs lol. eesh.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 17

GenGen....I think that the motor is heavier duty. I have 2 6qts and that way my bowls and paddles interchange. I need them both....I say grab your friends KA (with both hands of course) and drop the check and run!!! I just got my newest one 2 months ago on sale for 300.00!!!!

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:08am
post #12 of 17

I started out w/ a 5 qt KA, and was thrilled. My DH saw the 6 qt on sale about a year later, and actually persuaded me that I would use it. (He's a sweetie when he sees a good deal.) I felt guilty spending the extra money when I was already content--but I actually love having both sizes! (Don't you hate when they're right?) icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #13 of 17

I have a 6q and a 4.5q and a 9 speed hand mixer. I use all three for different things and love having them.

But before you rush out and get it, I would compair it to yours and see if it is worth the money to you. If it is the same size as the one you have, then it may be cheaper just to buy another bowl and beater.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:54am
post #14 of 17

I have a 325 watt 5 qt that is 2 years old and I want a bigger, more powerful one. I would grab it if it were a 6 qt!!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 17

I have a 5 Quart KA and a 7 Quart Cuisinart. The KA is about 15 years old and I just bought the Cuisinart for a great price - 45% the regular price and free shipping. I'm very pleased with my two prize possessions sitting side by side on my counter. I use the KA for smaller batches and obviously the Cuisinart for larger batches.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #16 of 17

I have three KA mixers:
handheld KA(Bed,Bath, and Beyond gift card)
Artisan 5 qt (free from a website where I played games and earned points)
Professional 6 qt (got as a wedding present last year from a group of our best friends)

I wouldn't trade any of them for anything, and this weekend, I'm using them all! Three cakes due tomorrow, PLUS a batch of decorated cookies. icon_razz.gif Yup... my counters look like an appliance store right now! LOL

(I also still have a small Hamilton beach stand mixer that a friend gave me... that one will soon be going to Habitat for Humanity, and a wonderful old Sunbeam that was my grandmother's nearly 20 years ago. Still works great and actually makes MMF like a charm. icon_razz.gif )

Basically, if it won't overburden your checkbook, I'd go for it. I don't think two KA's is too much at all! LOL

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #17 of 17

Thanks all!!!! I think I'm going to get the details from her and see how different they are. If they are the same, I'll just wait for my new paddle and bowl. If not, I'm gonna take it!!! I might throw in a batch of "thank you" cookies icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%