Fondant Question

Decorating By julie0319 Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 9:58am by Peeg

julie0319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julie0319 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to this site and to cake decorating too, but this place has me very inspired!
can anybody explain what fondant is?
how you use it?
thanks!
Julie

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. there is a lot of information available if you search the threads. Also, at the top of each forum are 'stickies' for frequently asked questions and basic information.

Fondant is a sugar based rolled icing used to cover cakes and make decorative pieces.

As a beginner, learning to bake, level, torte fill, ice is essential as a base to make fondant work. good luck.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 6

As JoAnnB said, it is a rolled icing that is made and used similar to pie dough. Instead of flour you use powdered sugar icon_smile.gif

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with JoAnnB, stick with her suggestions and later on things will make more sense with everything you learn. Some advise is to read, read and read everything you get your hands on. Also search the web, all information is out there somewhere, good luck and welcome.

julie0319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julie0319 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 6

is there any books anybody could suggest to me?

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:58am
post #6 of 6

Welcome Julie0319. I'm not sure about the books, but there are lots of DVDs out there (Sugarshack aka Sharon Zambito and Jennifer Dontz ) both have wonderful demos and easy instructions. I started just by google and of course CC. Also use the forums right here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%