Any Real Difference In Candy Clay Vs Chocolate Plastic, Etc?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm by bobwonderbuns

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 16

In the sense of true culinary definition...is there any difference b/w these three:
Candy Clay....Chocolate Plastic....Modelling Chocolate

Some use corn syrup or glucose or a cooled boiled sugar mixture...and theres the whole debate on "milking the fat" out before using, but honestly, is there any difference?
I'm waiting on the new CIA book to come in the mail but 'I'll be a monkey's uncle' if the answer is in there - so I had to ask here on CC.

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 16

In my experience, they are very similar. Making it yourself with chocolate and corn syrup saves some money (I do NOT milk the fats-it makes the clay too dry)

However, if you can afford to buy modeling chocolate, the commercial product tends to handle a bit better, for me anyway.

wrightway777 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

(I do NOT milk the fats-it makes the clay too dry).

I agree - I think it makes it a bit too dry too...for the corn syrup way.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 16

I don't use that particular recipe (I got my recipe out of a cookbook published by a fellow CC'er so I don't feel comfortable sharing the recipe without her permission) and I knead the fat out of it per her recipe, and it works great.

It's been my understanding that all those terms refer to the same thing. Jacque Torres called it chocolate plastic, some call it chocolate leather, etc.

Deanna

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 16

As far as I have found, those are just 3 different names for the same product. Some people just prefer to use different ingredients, sometimes.

HTH icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 16

I just posted a pic of a monkey cake that's covered in modeling chocolate that had the oil kneaded out of it while it was still warm. If kneading out the oil doesn't work for you, you need to go with whatever does. As with everything in cake decorating, all roads lead to Rome. icon_smile.gif

Deanna

wrightway777 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 16

ok sounds like they are all the same thing - just making sure I wasnt missing something - thanks

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 16

Candy clay is made from candy melts. Not actual real chocoalte. I don't know the difference between chocoalte plastique and modeling chocolate, but I'm pretty sure they use real chocolate that contains cocoa butter rather than candy melts that uses palm kernel oil or whatever the heck it is.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 16

They are all similar but the one I like lately is JenniferMI's pearl clay. That stuff is a dream! icon_biggrin.gif

wrightway777 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

They are all similar but the one I like lately is JenniferMI's pearl clay. That stuff is a dream! icon_biggrin.gif

thats Jennifer Dontz's stuff...she doesnt have her recipe out but only on the 2nd DVD right (I guess)? I tried to see if I could buy it and its not in her online store.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 16

Yes that's Jen's stuff. She's been selling out of the videos like crazy. I think GlobalSugarArt is carrying them now. The Pearl Clay you can't buy, you make it. It's very easy to make.

wrightway777 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 16

bobwonderbuns - have you seen her "Fondant Frills" DVD? I'll buy it if it has tons of how to do super hard stuff.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I just posted a pic of a monkey cake that's covered in modeling chocolate that had the oil kneaded out of it while it was still warm. If kneading out the oil doesn't work for you, you need to go with whatever does. As with everything in cake decorating, all roads lead to Rome. icon_smile.gif

Deanna

What is 'kneading out the oil' - when I make candy clay I do knead the product after it sets, but is there something else I should be doing to get a better product? E.g should I be kneading it on something that absorbs excess oils?

Great cake by the way!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #14 of 16

I knead it in my hands not like bread on the counter letting the oil drip though my fingers into a bowl. I do not put it on ony thing to absorb the excess but I do wipe my fingers to get part of it off. then let it set

If you let the stuff in the bowl set overnight it will be a very hard fat that is why if you do not knead it you can get hard pieces in your finished product.

some people say it can be grainy but I bet they are warming it in the microwave instead of kneading it. and over heating it.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 16

I love Jennifer Dontz's recipe- so easy, so tasty and makes a beautiful product!

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

bobwonderbuns - have you seen her "Fondant Frills" DVD? I'll buy it if it has tons of how to do super hard stuff.

I have both her DVDs. I highly recommend them, especially the Frills DVD which was my favorite. She shows basically how to embellish using pearl clay in a number of different ways. I enjoyed it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%