Transporting A Cake

Decorating By TSmith Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm by leah_s

TSmith Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to be making my first wedding cake and I was wondering how to transport it. If its going to be a stacked cake can you assemble it and just drive it to the site or do they need to be seperate? how do you keep the cakes from sliding and messing up on your way there?? does anyone have any advice? thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 8

Depending on the size of the tiers and where/how it is transported you can assemble it at home OR on site.
If the sizes are only 2" difference (ie: 8,10,12 or such) definately assemble on site.
If it's say a 16, 12, 8 or similar I have transported already assembles as much as 50-75 miles.
If your roads are full of potholes consider assembling on site.

If you choose to assemble on site you can box each cake. Put some non-skid stuff under each one. Taske a kit of extra icing and all the tools you will need to put it together and add the borders/decorations that can't be added until assembled.
You can also partly assemble.......say it's 14, 10, 8, 6....put the two largest tiers together at home and take the other two boxed to assemble on site.
If you assemble at home...... clean out the back of your vehicle (trunk?) then put down a clean sheet. Again put the non skid stuff under the cake.
Measure the heigth of your trunk to see if the cake will fiticon_smile.gif If it dosen't fit, you will have to fix the back seat so it is level w/a lg board or such. This is not a good option and would suggest it be assembled on site.

Give yourself extra time to drive slower then usual and be careful.

Chef_Rinny Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 8

I assemble most of my cakes and transport, but it really does depend on the size of the cakes and how many tiers. If you do decide to transport the cake pre-assembled make sure that the cake is well supported and it's a good idea to put a dowel through the entire cake to stop the tiers from sliding. Also, make sure to bring an emergency repair kit filled with extra icing, spatulas, decorations, etc... in case any of it is damaged in transport.

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

Uses SPS and assemble prior to transport. I still put the top tier on onsite, and check for level one last time.

cylstrial Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 8

What is the non-skid stuff that you are telling us to put under the cake? I have just been putting some tape in the bottom of the bakery box.. but your way sounds much better!

TSmith Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all your help. i do use the nonskid stuff to put under every cake that i make. what is sps??

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 8

SPS = single plate separator. It's a fab support system from Bakerycrafts that is CHEAP, effective, sturdy and easy to use.

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 8

SPS = Single Plate System. Easy to use, CHEAP and sturdy. See siggy to get the instruction sheet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%