Should I Take The Job Or Not?

Decorating By 3littleangels Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 5:33pm by Juds2323

3littleangels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3littleangels Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 10

I have the opportunity to work in a bakery as a cake decorator. Now, I would absolutely love to take this poistion. However, it pays less than what I currently make and the company does not want to match my current salary (I currently work in an executive office).

I have never worked in an actual bakery setting (which is why they do not want to match my current pay) but I can get the job done. My decorating skills have come a LONGGGGGGG way since I first started out (a long way!). If I decided to take the job I know that I will do so well, beyound well.

Taking the job will allow me to fulfill my passion on a day to day basis (currently I do not decorate on a daily basis) which will increase my speed amongst other things. While also learning the business side of a bakery.

My only reason for not accepting the position is the pay, I truly cannot afford to accept that much of a decrease in salary. I've been trying to weigh the pros and cons of taking this job and do not want to be led by emotions. I WANT THIS SOOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!!!

Am I being unreasonable about the pay, I mean it's only a few dollars, RIGHT?

Can any of you help me? Should I take the job or wait for something else? Please help?

9 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

I truly cannot afford to accept that much of a decrease in salary.

Quote:
Quote:

and do not want to be led by emotions

I think you just answered your own question with these two statements. Yes, we all need to dream and follow them, but we must also be realistic. Sadly, if you know you can afford that much a pay decrease, then you may have to turn it down.

May it's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's what I have to offer.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 10

Have you considered getting a part-time job at a bakery or with a catering company? I would seriously want to know what I was getting into before quitting a job that pays well enough to give pause about switching.

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 10

If you really can't afford a pay decrease then this is not the perfect job for you. If "not afford" means you just have to go without some fun stuff in the budget (eating out, vacation) then I would take the bakery job and give up some fun stuff. Hard decision though. Good luck!

Emily

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 10

Generally, the new kid in a bakery does not get to do the cool stuff. They get to do the grunt work y'know? So it might or might not fulfill your passion.

Did you factor in your benefits? Compare the ones you have now with the ones you will not have at a bakery?

Being a decorator is physically demanding labor. You really have to be tough and work smart without hurting yourself in the long run like carpal tunnel, bad legs/feet/back/lungs etc.

So good luck. I always enjoyed decorating for bakeries & stuff.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 10

If the wages are far below your current salary that you wouldn't be able to meet your household requirements, then going to work at the bakery may become more of a regret and/or stressor than enjoyment. HOWEVER, I am all for chasing dreams... as I am in the same same boat. Although it may take some strength and patience for some time, you may be able to find an addtional part time job to help pick up the difference. I'm sure in no time, as you will gain enough experience at the bakery that you would be able to command the salary and only have to work one bakery position.
Good Luck in your decision.... whatever it would be, it will surely be the right one for you and your family.
~ Jaime

3littleangels Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the responses. I have thought about this long and hard, as hard as it is, I have decided not to take the position icon_cry.gif . This decision is the best decision for myself and my family. God will open the door to a better opportunity for me.

Thanks guys...

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #8 of 10

it sounds like a good decision, i don't think it would have been what you thought it was gonna be like, as "the new kid"...on my first bakery job, all i did was ice cakes, and do the dishes...for months!

fast forward to my 3rd bakery job...they started me out kinda low, got a merit raise in 2 weeks, and in a couple of months i was at top pay, so once you learn the ropes, it doesn't take long if you are skilled.

3littleangels Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 10

Sometimes being the "newbie" is awful icon_sad.gif

So how can I make ends meat while at the bottom to the totem pole? I really want to work in a bakery because I feel that I will gain the knowledge necessary to advance my skill level in decorating while doing what I love on a daily basis.

I guess I will have to practice, practice, practice...at home, that is!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 10

Perhaps you could negotiate in your offer for a review after a certain time frame. for example reassesment in 6 months. Just make sure you get it in writing if you do so.

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%