Need Help Figuring Out How To Do This Gingham'ish Pattern

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm by eneq

MacsMom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 16

HELP! A customer would like me to try to come up with a way to include this pattern on a cake. It's going to be a topsy-turvy with a big bow on top, but they want the bow solid pink. They suggested this pattern on the bottom and dots on top.

How can I do this? I need suggestions, tips, other ideas (?)

15 replies
MacsMom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 16

Should I just lay strips across each other or try to basketweave them? I have no idea how to basketweave.

Should I roll out a sheet of fondant, lay the strips on, and then wrap it around the tier like you would a chocolate transfer?

Shelly4481 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 16

I would say just lay them directly on the cake. Cut all your strips with the different colors and start laying them. It may be easier then you think. Good luck, I bet it will be cute. Maybe someone else has done something like this and can help. Love those colors.

MacsMom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 16

I think I'm just going to paint them on.

I just saw an Ace of Cakes episode where Mary Alice cut out squares of various degrees of each shade and connected them, rather than laying down strips.

Price Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 16

I would paint it on. I would would first paint the pink since that looks like the most prominent color and once that Has dried I would go back and paint the other colors. Paint right over top of the pink where the lines intersect. (Hope that makes sense!)

MacsMom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks for the tip! I will do a practice cake first!

Jocmom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 16

Painting makes more sense. You won't get the color variations where the strips intersect if you use fondant strips. Practice painting on a piece of rolled out fondant.

Sarsi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 16

yeah, painting would get the right look better than you would get with fondant strips. I did one with fondant strips, its in my photos. Its the red white and black topsy-turvy....Can't wait to see it!! Make sure you post it and let me know when you get done!!! Its going to be awesome!! icon_smile.gif I'm jealous of your cake order!! LOL

MacsMom Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the visual, Sarsi! I love your cakes!!

Yes, I'll post a pic when I'm done. It's not due until Oct 4th, I just wanted to get a head start on figuring it all out!

ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:32am
post #10 of 16

Not that I have any idea of what I am talking about LOL but I would paint it too. Did you see Aine2's video of how she did a Scottish tartan? It's the same theory: a plaid. And yep, she painted it.

all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:53am
post #11 of 16

I would say the EASIEST way would be to get an edible image or two made of it and apply them to the sides.

MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 16

Geeez... I guess I'm relieved because doing a plaid design on a slanted cake (topsy turvy) would be tricky, but she's changed her mind icon_confused.gif .

She was concerned as to how the painted plaid on the bottom tier would look against the 2D polka dots on the top tier, so I sent her some photos to let her decide which she liked best. I fell in love with the floral design on jaklotz' cake, so I asked if she'd rather have that than dots.

Well, I included SugarCreation's cake with "baby" imprinted on the polka dots, and she fell in love with the bows on the stripes!

So I have ended up having to copy SugarCreation's idea rather than doing my own design. I do love SugarCreation's cake, don't get me wrong, I was just hoping to have another original cake in my credentials, lol. Well, at least I get to put a big bow on top instead of the shoes, bear and rattle icon_rolleyes.gif

Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:47am
post #13 of 16

Awe...shucks, huh!?!?!?! I was excited to see how it was going to turn out too!! But this cake is adorable as well!! Is it from CC??

MacsMom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 16

I thought I originally saw her cakes here, but now I'm not sure. She inspires a lot of copy-cat cakes, though!

Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 16

Cool!! Thank you!!

eneq Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 16

rebecca sutterby (sugar creations) is a member here. her member name is cakebaker. i'm so happy she's on here cause she's such an inspiration!!! i love her clean!

Quote by @%username% on %date%