So Disappointed...

Decorating By Candes Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 3:00pm by Candes

Candes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

I worked really late last night to finish a birthday cake for a friend. Her son's first birthday. Finished the last touch ups around midnight. Dh prepared to put the cake in the box when the board creased! icon_cry.gif The BC cracked the smooth finish. It looks bad. I totally forgot to bring my camera but may be that was on purpose.

My friend is coming to my work to pick up the cake and I don't know what to say. She may (and I say that loosely) think it's great so I don't want to start off by saying "I'm sorry it's crappy"

I didn't do this cake for profit and I know I've lost money on it but I feel so crappy handing this cake over. I bought confetti to hide some cracks but you can still see some. *sigh*

I'm on the verge of running to the store to pick up a Wilton tube of icing (blech) to add some distractions w/o getting too busy.

6 replies
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 7

I would just explain to her exactly what happened and apologize. If she's truly a friend, she'll understand. Definitely look into masonite or foamcore for future cake boards!

Mencked Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 7

We are always our worst critics! I bet it doesn't look as bad as you think?! I think I always use too many cardboard rounds for my cakes, but you can never have too much stability when it comes to our precious cakes!

foxymomma521 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 7

I think most non cake people don't notice the flaws that we do. I wouldn't worry about it unless she seems concerned. If it really bothers you and extra deco's won't ruin the look then go for it, but I'm sure it's fine icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

Offering 100% disclosure and sharing your personal disappointment would be foolish. The cake is a gift right? Don't rain on her once in a lifetime parade. If you were able to disguise it with confetti--go with that. Tell her you hope her little boy has a wonderful first birthday. It ain't about you or your cake. It's about a celebration that should be respected.

Who can't improve from one cake to the next? We all can. We all can do better--just keep doing it.

poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 7

We are our own worse critics. LOL I can show you over 5 flaws in each of my cakes but when the customer comes to pick them up they never even notice. I think it's because 'we' know how it should look and we hold ourselves to that standard. Non cake people could really careless. IMO

Candes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 7

She JUST picked it up. She and her MIL were impressed. icon_eek.gif I guess you were right. My heart still pounding. They really liked it. She's not a touchy feely person but she gave me a hug.

WHEW! Glad that's over and out of my hands. She's going to send pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%