Advice / Tips To Share With Airbrush

Decorating By ladybug76 Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 1:56am by Naturepixie

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 9

I recently purchased an airbrush and plan on whipping the ol' bad boy out this weekend... I can't wait!!! icon_lol.gif I am going to be working on sunflowers / pumpkins for a cake competition I have coming up, so I am looking to mix colors and 'somehow' achieve that deep, rich autumn hue. I was just wondering if anyone had advice or tips they would be willing to share to this 'airbrush newbie!' Thanks in advance for your help!!
~Jaime

8 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 9

Since you're new to it, I HIGHLY suggest some practice... I know, stating the obvious lol, but still. If you'll be spraying on fondant or gumpaste, roll out a piece as a practice "canvas." It takes a little getting used to how much pressure to put on the trigger, etc. And that is especially true if you have a double action brush vs a single action (and every brush has a different "feel" as well). Once you get a feel for how you airbrush operates, you'll be golden. Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

Break out those paper towels to practice on. Fill in the drawings, trace the writingicon_smile.gif
As Pink said, it takes some getting used to.
Then go to the icing practice canvas.
Don't try to get that dark, deep, rich color all at once. It will take 3 or 4 layers of color. Let each one dry (5 minutes usually is enough) before adding the next or more color.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:05am
post #4 of 9

One of my cakes calls for 3 layers of red - which takes FOREVER in coloring fondant. I was thinking I could cover my cakes (after practice, of course!) in fondant then airbrush the cake. Is this possible? SOrry, if silly question but I'm learning!! icon_redface.gif Also, I want to create a deeper red - not the typical red you receive with your colors. Any advice on how to achieve darker colors (I'm not looking to create shows, shading, etc on the background - just want a deeper color). Thank you all so far for all your advice... I look forward to reading more!!! thumbs_up.gif
~ Jaime

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 9

mixing your own airbrush colours needs to be done outside the brush, what i mean is in a little bottle. If you put yellow colour in the AB cup then add a drop of blue you wont get green, it will spray yellow then blue with a tint on green in the middle there somewhere. so mix colours outside. for the deep red you are looking for you can try adding a touch of black to more red. careful not to send it into the grey/muddy colours.
also practice on newspaper, theres pictures to colour, lines of writing to spray between, and its cheaper then using up your paper towels.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 9

in carol faxon's airbrush books, etc.... she teaches that you can mix your colors in the cup of the airbrush. i have done it plenty of times... you put the colors in you want to mix... then put your thumb over the cup and shake... check the color on a peice of napkin , etc... of course, if it is a lot of color.... then mix it in something bigger.... then pour in the cup.. hth

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #7 of 9

i agree, you can do that, cover the top with a finger and tip it upside down but, after youve sprayed on paper to check the colour theres hardly any left, so i would mix outside the cup if your looking to make alot of one colour.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #8 of 9

.........after youve sprayed on paper to check the colour theres hardly any left, so i would mix outside the cup if your looking to make alot of one colour...

I definately agree here.
She wants to AB a whole fondant covered cake here. That's going to take more than one cupful of coloring. You most likely won't ever be able to match the color againicon_sad.gif That's why it's best to make enough in the 1st place in a small bottle/cup or such.

Oh, the another thing....she wants a deep color. It might take 3 or more layers of color to achieve that.
The last layer probably should be the ''bright'' red - not mixed to bring out the red.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #9 of 9

wow, this sounds hard... icon_redface.gif lol
I was thinking about getting an airbrush gun, now I'm scared...... icon_surprised.gif lol

But please keep posting I want to read more... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%