Cake Board Question

Decorating By bethasd Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm by -K8memphis

bethasd Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am building a stacked cake with fondant icing and have a question about the cake boards. Does the 2nd tier's cardboard circle need to be wrapped in anything or does it go directly on the first tier? Doesn't it absorb moisture from the cake? Does the first tier take on a cardboard taste? I'm afraid if I put parchment on the first tier the 2nd would slide around. Would really appreciate any tips. THANKS!

5 replies
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 6

No need to cover it with anything. It will most likely soften some from the moisture, but it will not affect the flavor of the taste. The moisture issue, however, is why many no longer use cardboard if they can help it, and opt for more study options, such as foamcore or masonite (my preference).

mama5kiddos Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 6

I simply wrap my inner cake boars with saran wrap, where it covers top and bottom. HTH

kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 6

I also prefere to cover completely any cake baorrd used. If not, to me the cake takes one a cardboard tasteicon_sad.gif

bethasd Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

I appreciate everyone getting back to me. I was working last-minute and just got the Wilton cardboard circles. I am exploring masonite for future projects.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 6

Depending on the size of your tiers you would want to use a coupld or several cardboards for larger tiers. You can also slide bamboo skewers into the grooves and place two cardboard circles criss cross to provide excellent support for the big momma layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%