Results Of My Chocolate Cake Taste Test

Baking By Hawkette Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 2:36am by MyDiwa

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #61 of 76

jayde.... any chance you might want to share your recipe for either or both ..
Rich vanilla bean cake filled with fudgy chocolate ganache

TIA
shirl

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:25am
post #62 of 76

For Txkat's blender ganache is it still pourable after sitting for a couple of hours? How do you make it a spreadable consistency? And how do you keep from it being gritty since you don't heat the milk/sugar mixture?

And if anyone has made JodieF's caramel sauce & a caramel by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk, how do the consistencies compare? The boiled CM is like O'Charley's caramel pie.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #63 of 76

I never had a problem with it being gritty that I've noticed. It's not much sugar so perhaps it dissolves thoroughly?
As long as you don't fridge it, it stays pourable. If you need it thicker, pop in the fridge for a couple minutes.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #64 of 76

Yeah, that fudge icing recipe is magical! No grit, the sugar just dissolves in the liquid. I found that keeping on the countertop kept it perfectly spreadable. Good stuff!

dandelion56602 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:40pm
post #65 of 76

It won't slide off the cake if I frost the cake w/ it? I've not decided if I want to frost or pour it on. Is it thick when spreadable or mousse like? Thanks for your help

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #66 of 76

I would say it's thick, like...well, like a fudgy icing should be LOL. I don't have a pic of the cake I used it for, but it definitely did not slide off. I did not try pouring it so I can't advise on that front, but for me it spread on like any other icing. Retains a fudgy gloss, definitely not mousse-like.

CakeMakar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #67 of 76

I spread on txkat's recipe easily, the cake I originally made it for was during my first year of "caking." I don't think it poured, I think it was a spreadable consistency. I haven't made the other so I can't compare. Definitely a glossy smooth fudginess, not a mousse.
I've made it since, but as a filling, so I immediately stuck it in the fridge.

CakeMakar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:48pm
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

txkat has a wonderful recipe for blender ganache. I absolutely love it. I make it and eat it out of the fridge. Oops, did I say that out loud?

6 oz UNSWEETENED chocolate
1 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar.

In blender, process milk and sugar together for about ten seconds. Add melted slightly cooled chocolate and blend on high speed until you hear your blender change pitch. This could be several minutes. pour into a bowl and let rest for at least two hours. Overnight is better. If it doesn't firm up while blending, add an extra oz of chocolate. Do not refrigerate unless you want it to set. (I frost the cake when it's runny & then put in the fridge, then cover in fondant.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif That is the best frosting in the world for vanilla cupcakes, especially if you fill them with pastry cream and make boston creme pie cupcakes.

Mmm. That sounds yummy. I'm a boston creme donut fiend!

dandelion56602 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #69 of 76

Thanks ladies, I can't wait to try this!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:47pm
post #70 of 76

Hawkette has a fabulous recipe for ganache!

Melt one can sweetened condensed milk with 2 cups chocolate chips.

Thats it! Its so rich and fudgy it is sinful.

The vanilla bean cake recipe is the one that my family fell in love with. A BC french vanilla box mix with the extender (the extender recipe is in the recipe section), sub the water for buttermilk, add an extra tsp of vanilla, and scrape 1 vanilla bean (both halves) into the batter.

The batter will be quite thick, but just scrape it in there. Bake at 325 with baking strips around your pan.

dandelion56602 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #71 of 76

I just made Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake and was pleased. Maybe I'm just use to boxed mixes, and this is just the 2nd scratch cake I've made, but it didn't seem as sturdy as I like. I guess I'm saying I wouldn't try carving it, but did like it. I'll be trying the Hershey's Black Magic Cake, but in cupcakes next time.

I did replace the boiling water w/ coffee & it yielded 6 cups of batter. Bake even strips made a big difference (forgot it on the 1st layer, ugh).

While I'm posting I'm wondering if I can go ahead & make the ganache & put it in the fridge & then bring it to room temp before frosting. (i just found out that the benefit I'm donating to is Thurs night not Sat & I have 3 cakes & 2 doz cupcakes to make by Thurs)

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #72 of 76

I know I just posted, but I've made another chocolate cake (actually cupcakes) from King Arthur's site. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeDisplay?RID=47 . Overall I'll give it a thumbs up! I liked the texture (more spongy & held together nicely) and they rose quite a bit even though the batter was very liquid. I replaced the water w/ coffee to give it a darker taste, which was middle of the road--not milk, not dark. My only complaint is they did a volcano dome, actually looked like a volcano exploding when I turned on my light. It made 6 cups of batter. I may try mixing it w/ my KA instead of my handheld mixer next time.

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #73 of 76
Quote:

I spread on txkat's recipe easily, the cake I originally made it for was during my first year of "caking." I don't think it poured, I think it was a spreadable consistency. I haven't made the other so I can't compare. Definitely a glossy smooth fudginess, not a mousse.
I've made it since, but as a filling, so I immediately stuck it in the fridge.

Turned out perfect. Thanks txkat for the recipe!!! So easy, so divine & perfect spreadable consistency & to pipe w/ as well. I'll be interested to chill it in the future to see the consistency & use it as a filling.

There's a pic in my photos if you want to see what it looks like (at room temp)

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:34pm
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:

txkat has a wonderful recipe for blender ganache. I absolutely love it. I make it and eat it out of the fridge. Oops, did I say that out loud?

6 oz UNSWEETENED chocolate
1 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar.

In blender, process milk and sugar together for about ten seconds. Add melted slightly cooled chocolate and blend on high speed until you hear your blender change pitch. This could be several minutes. pour into a bowl and let rest for at least two hours. Overnight is better. If it doesn't firm up while blending, add an extra oz of chocolate. Do not refrigerate unless you want it to set. (I frost the cake when it's runny & then put in the fridge, then cover in fondant.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif That is the best frosting in the world for vanilla cupcakes, especially if you fill them with pastry cream and make boston creme pie cupcakes.

i want to try this.
is that what you used for this cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1280046

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm
post #75 of 76

WOW!!! What a great thread I have come across!!! I am always on the hunt for a chocolate cake recipe!! I am going to give these a try along with the fudge filling!!!

Thanks for all the great tips and recipes !!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #76 of 76

save!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%