Stuck On Cake Design..missing Something..mostly Color..help

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm by xstitcher

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 32

UPDATE: the first and second sketch you see are revisions of the original sketch. I'm getting closer...but would love your honest feedback....

Original OP:
I have this cake order due on Tuesday, but when I sketch it out, it just looks so freakin' boring/bland. It's a monitor with its stand - IS computer geeks. I could either do black (I think that would be too dark) or grey (still boring). Where can I add some color to this cake. I've tried red on the cake board and it looked too weird, the blue blended in too much with the gray, green looked okay, and the ivory (as seen in photo) doesn't add much to it. I'm seriously stuck on this. There is only so much you can do with a computer monitor and stand, KWIM?

Or maybe there is a completely different design that would be more suited for a computer geek....my customer said to do whatever. The cake size is a square 8" double layer white cake with strawberry filling and BC icing.

TIA....
LL
LL
LL

31 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #2 of 32

what if you tried a computer themed wall paper, or screen saver? maybe look at your computer's screen savers for inspiration, it would add a little "pop" to the screen. hope i jogged some of your creativity.

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #3 of 32

Thanks Julitre. I just scoured the screen savers and wallpaper. i'd have to be an artist to do those icon_lol.gif I'll keep searching for some easier wallpaper to maybe replicate and use instead. while you were posting, I created a new one. I added it to my original post. Does that look better?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 32

I like the first picture shown.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 32

I like the first picture shown.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 32

I like the first picture, as I think the black border on the monitor makes
the other colors pop. If you are looking for an added color.... as I spend so much time on the computer at home and work, (guess that qualifies me as a geek too) I tend to leave myself sticky notes attached to my monitor frame, and always have note paper & pen next to my mouse????

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 32

I like the latest version with the mouse and pad... definitely looks more interesting!

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 32

Hey, what happened to the other 2 images? Oh well, doesn't matter anyway, I'm scratching those designs.

PracticeandPatience - I thought of the sticky notes too. My monitor has about 10-15 of them stuck all around it. I might do that...icon_lol.gif

Anyway, here is another version. I'll probably have to do an edible image, even tho I would love to try my hand at doing this all freehand. I just worry my handwriting will SUCK!

Now what do you think? Am I getting close to being done?

PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 32

I definitely like the shorter monitor stand! Post-its and pencil are a cute touch too. Keys, yes, but not on the mouse pad! lol I really think it's looking good!

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 32

Thanks Tara. The Keys are part of the Logo. The logo with the keys was created for the specific project Pete and Susan worked on. That's their baby.

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 32

i like the final design, i think the customer would be very happy with it, will you post a pic when you get it done? icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 32

Thanks Julitre1. Yes, I will be posting pics on Monday when I finish the actual cake. I'll be working on the fondant pieces tonight.

Thanks again for your input. Don't stop tho. If you see something that I can improve on, please post it here. There will be about 30 ppl at this meeting (most of which are from a different department) and I want to blow them away in hopes of getting more orders.

Thanks!

Vicki

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #13 of 32

yup, definitely like the added color of the sticky note and the keys, and I
agree with the shorter monitor stand. I really like this!!

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 32

Love the last pic. I'd go with it!!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #15 of 32

Here are the sugarpaste accents for the cakeboard. The info on the post it note is stuff that is on the Daily Key's report that is sent out. I just noticed one major mistake. I made the letters on the logo all caps. They are supposed to be Initial Caps only. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif so I'm going to have to redo the mouse pad icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif . I work there! How could I have gotten that wrong! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif And, I used up the last of my MMF so I'm off to make another batch. I was so happy that I had enough MMF so I didn't have to make another batch. Someone just shoot me!
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 32

I can't view your latest link Vicki, it states that the file is not found.

My 1st thought when I saw you pics was that the monitor stand was too tall but it seems as I scrolled thru this post you changed it. It looks great now.

P.S. I don't have a Sony monitor so I don't know if they have the grey base with the black around the monitor or not but I was just looking at all of mine and they are all black. I like yours with the two different colours but what do you think it would look like as all black? Just a thought!
Love the mouse and pad and the sticky!!!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 32

Thanks Parm. I'm not sure what is going on with the pictujres. It was doing that to me on Friday.

Here is the original mouse pad that I did Saturday:

And here is the new mouse pad that I did this morning

I am much happier with the new pad. Okay, off to go make the strawberry filling for this cake. I just want to nap!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #18 of 32

Oh Vicky awesome design ! Ok it only took 2 days for me to get all of your links to open! What is going on with that ! The links you pm,d me still wont open ! GRRR!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #19 of 32

Thanks Fiddle! I'm not sure what is going on. It's awfully weird so I've been uploading the pics to my server and linking back to them. It's a pain but at least you can see the pics icon_lol.gif.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #20 of 32

So far everything looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished cake

xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

So far everything looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished cake

Couldn't agree more!

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #22 of 32

Overal I'm okay with this cake. It certainly isn't my best, nor my favorite, but I think (hope and pray) they like it. I think I did good job capturing our login page and logo, as well as all my fondant pieces. I'm not crazy about the monitor stand or my borders. My writing is okay and I made the date too big. I'm hope they don't notice, but you know we are our own worst critics. Let me know what you think of the end result. Double layer, torted 8" square WASC cake with strawberry filling and BC icing. The monitor stand are rice krispie treats covered with BC.

Thanks,

V

xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:51am
post #23 of 32

I think the whole design turned out great! My favourite parts are the pencil and the mouse but I think the whole cake is great, I'm sure it will go over really well! thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:26pm
post #24 of 32

The attention to detail is AWESOME! I love it!

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #25 of 32

Thanks guys! I'm developing an ulcer over this cake. I'm scared they will hate it b/c after they eat it, their mouth is going to be black. I so need reassurance that I did the right thing by making this black. It's for a business meeting, offsite, but in the afternoon so hopefully no one will mind black teeth or tongue for a few hours.

fiddlesticks Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #26 of 32

Oh Vicky you worry to much ! Its awesome ! That last cake of mine I posted I thought was so boring and just that same ole sheet cake and lots of molded choc .But I have already recieved 3 emails about how much everyone loved it and it tasted delicious! So goes to show ya whats boring or not perfect to us is something great to those who dont always see all of these cake designs ! Im sure they will love it !!

fiddlesticks Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #27 of 32

Oh by the way the last darth vader cake I was asked to make , I was told they had very black teeth tonges and were pooping wierd colors to!
Oh well all part of the fun !LOL!
Again it looks great !

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Oh by the way the last darth vader cake I was asked to make , I was told they had very black teeth tonges and were pooping wierd colors to!
Oh well all part of the fun !LOL!
Again it looks great !

ROTFLMAO....HYSTERICAL. My cube mate thought something was wrong when I let a huge belly laugh after reading that.

Thanks for the reassurance. I needed that. icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #29 of 32

Vicky..Glad to help,I mean after all we cant worry about what color people poop out ,now can we ??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif
Be sure and post how they like it ! icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:59am
post #30 of 32

The final results are in from the customer. Here is her email to me.

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Vicki,

The cake was AWESOME!!! It was a huge success, everyone loved it. Then, they tasted it and loved it even more! Thank you so much for doing this for us, it was great.

Laura

I couldn't be more happy! Thanks for everything guys! I appreciate it. I certainly couldn't have done it without all your advise and critiques!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%