Just Quote Duff's Price Back At 'em!

Business By indydebi Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm by cb_one

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 23

I got an inquiry for a carved cake. She said she watches Ace of Cakes all the time and that's how she got the idea.

So I replied, "Did you know Duff has a $1000 minimum cake fee? The good news is that I'm not quite THAT expensive." icon_lol.gif

So I gave her a brief lesson on how this is a carved cake, starting with about 3 sheet cakes stacked on each other, then carved to shape, iced, and covered in fondant. I gave her a "price starts at" figure, and a referral to a bakery in her area that also might be able to do a good job for her.

She replied "Wow, I had no idea Duff charged that much! That's wild!!" She also commented that she figured the cake would take some time, but didn't know what all was involved.

So I sent her the link to DUff's website page with that info.

Anyway ..... I luv it that Duff has that info on his site. The show and his website is a great educational tool for the rest of us in the cake industry!! It shows the value these types of cake really have and gives an idea of the work involved (they watch the show and see some of it ... plus the price miminum listed SHOULD give them an idea, anyway!).

22 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 23

I love that they have the info. listed on their too. It really is a good site to direct people to. Makes them realize how hard and time consuming it really is.

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:16am
post #3 of 23

It's sad that in the days of mass-produced everything, people don't know the value of an item made by hands.

It's funny when clients say "I've seen your beautiful cakes, can I get a cake in the shape of a MUstang for 15 ppl... how much is that?"

They then get "the talk" and I never see them again. I should send them to Duff's website. Maybe they won't be so shocked by the price.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:47am
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsburyArt

It's sad that in the days of mass-produced everything, people don't know the value of an item made by hands.

It's funny when clients say "I've seen your beautiful cakes, can I get a cake in the shape of a MUstang for 15 ppl... how much is that?"

They then get "the talk" and I never see them again. I should send them to Duff's website. Maybe they won't be so shocked by the price.

I wonder how much Duff charges for the Geoff Cars...and how much for those detailed Fake Cakes.

I keep raising the prices of my cars...a 20 serving car runs about 100 bucks and people are still paying it with no problem. How much SHOULD I be charging for it??

AsburyArt Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I wonder how much Duff charges for the Geoff Cars...and how much for those detailed Fake Cakes.

I keep raising the prices of my cars...a 20 serving car runs about 100 bucks and people are still paying it with no problem. How much SHOULD I be charging for it??

I limit cake sculpture to 40 servings minimum and charge at least $14 per serving to do it. "You" aren't doing yourself any favors by pricing cake sculpture so low.

Handmade flowers and cake sculpture should be at the top of anyones pricing pyramid.

I can't watch Duff. I really can't. It's all personality over substance.

I charge more in general to knock off a design. And I'm very up front about it. I'll typically say "to knock off this design it'll be $8 per serving, to interpret it, it'll be $6 per serving."

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 23

I hear from customers all the time that they watch Ace of Cakes and how cool his cakes are. They have never logged on to his web site and have no idea what he charges for cakes. I wish at the end of each show they disclosed how much each of the cakes cost, it would really make customers aware that those type of cakes are not $3.50 per serving.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 23

Back in June I received an "order" out of the blue from a wedding planner for a groom's cake of the attached picture, 30-40 servings (in buttercream, no less!). They also wanted me to deliver 70 miles each way. Oh, and this was just 4 weeks from the wedding! All I could think was..."these people have been watching too much Ace of Cakes". I couldn't take the order because of my pregnancy, but if I had even thought about it, my price would have been close to Duff's minimum. Some things just can't be priced out per serving. I bet the wedding planner would have fainted if I'd quoted her $1000!
LL

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 23

BTW, does Duff offer any other types of fillings? I notice on his website he only has flavors listed, I am assuming this is cake. I can also only assume he just uses bc filling since he does only sculpted cakes, right? or no? icon_confused.gif

AsburyArt Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolle711

BTW, does Duff offer any other types of fillings? I notice on his website he only has flavors listed, I am assuming this is cake. I can also only assume he just uses bc filling since he does only sculpted cakes, right? or no? icon_confused.gif

I think out of necessity, alot of designers limit the filling to IMBC or SMBC or Hi ratio (gasp). If something is gonna take 3-4 days to decorate, you are sorta limited by heat stability. I wouldn't be surprised if he only uses BC.

loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 23

I never really noticed, but you maybe right, I bet they just offer BC..

Did you see last week where a bride had canceled her cake because the groom called off the wedding? They were eating the cake and not even Geoff or Mary Alice was eating the fondant! hahahaha! Maybe we should point that out to people too when they say they don't like Fondant. Just say "Neither does Duff!"

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 23

I saw that episode where they were eating the cake....I can't believe they still eat cake. I smell it so much I don't even try new flavors, just trust my guinea pigs (friends, family, coworkers).

I raised my minimum cake order price to $30....watch out Duff...I'm on my way up!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCanadian

I saw that episode where they were eating the cake....I can't believe they still eat cake. I smell it so much I don't even try new flavors, just trust my guinea pigs (friends, family, coworkers).

I raised my minimum cake order price to $30....watch out Duff...I'm on my way up!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I can't eat cake anymore because I can't sugar. But I still just love cake. I can never get enough of it. When I have tastings, and there is any leftover, I have to quickly put it down the garbage disposal.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 23

I haven't thought to tell people to go to other sites, such as Duffs. I had a woman ask me today about making fondant long stemed roses for her wedding as table centerpieces. She is having 12 tables and thought I would do all the arrangments for $50. I explained to her that every petal is hand made and the time involved in drying, making leaves, wrapping etc. When I was done, she said O M G I never dreamed it took so much work!

Do people think cakes carve themselves and rose petals fall from our fingers? LOL

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

I haven't thought to tell people to go to other sites, such as Duffs. I had a woman ask me today about making fondant long stemed roses for her wedding as table centerpieces. She is having 12 tables and thought I would do all the arrangments for $50. I explained to her that every petal is hand made and the time involved in drying, making leaves, wrapping etc. When I was done, she said O M G I never dreamed it took so much work!

Do people think cakes carve themselves and rose petals fall from our fingers? LOL

$50??????? For 12 arrangements? WHAT A LOON!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #15 of 23

Add Confetti Cakes to your $1000 min order list.

I think it's great too. List it all out.. I wish Ace of Cakes showed the actual prices of the cakes too though.. because most of their cakes are well above the $1000 mark.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #16 of 23

lady phoenix don't you dare sell 12 table arragements of long stem roses for 50!! icon_sad.gif You are worth so much more

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I think it's great too. List it all out.. I wish Ace of Cakes showed the actual prices of the cakes too though.. because most of their cakes are well above the $1000 mark.

They really should do this (some cute pop up thing or something). People have no clue. It would be a real eye opener for those who think "oh they can just whip up a cake."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

(some cute pop up thing or something).

Like on those house flipping shows, where at the end of the show they recap with Cost of House ... $100,000, cost of renovations .... $25,000, Sale Price .... $200,000.

If they didn't want to divulge the actual price (which I can respect), I'd even be happy with a general figure ..... "This cake ended up costing the client over $3000" ..... just so the general public would have a ballpark reality number.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #19 of 23

I'm in love, for once a civilized discussion of Duff icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I agree, it would be kewl to have a "at 2008 pricing (so Duff doesn't end up with some schmuck that says "but you only charged them X amount to do this same cake"), this cake ended up costing $$$$..."

But in all seriousness, Duff isn't too far out of the running for what the market is in that area. A friend got a quote there for their wedding cake (before it was increased to $1000) at about the same rate as another local upper end MD area bakery did (they were only $150 more from the other quote). They ended up cancelling the wedding when the MOB said she wasn't going to pay for the whole thing herself the kids decided to get married by a JOP (heaven forbid they got a job to pay for the lavish event they wanted)...

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #20 of 23

We should all send Food Network emails about at least mentioning the general ballpark price of their cakes on the show! icon_wink.gificon_twisted.gif

Cake Muggles (love the term!) have no clue what cakes like Duff's actually cost! icon_rolleyes.gif Those poor muggles need to know.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

lady phoenix don't you dare sell 12 table arragements of long stem roses for 50!! icon_sad.gif You are worth so much more

No worries there Sari! I told her my roses are $5-6 per stem. I am also making her wedding cake. She is getting a small break there, but not on the roses. Her only response to the cost was, well I can see we are going to be giving you a lot of money. I told her they would not be "giving" me anything, every cent would be earned with my sweat.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

No worries there Sari! I told her my roses are $5-6 per stem. I am also making her wedding cake. She is getting a small break there, but not on the roses. Her only response to the cost was, well I can see we are going to be giving you a lot of money. I told her they would not be "giving" me anything, every cent would be earned with my sweat.

You go, girl!

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Add Confetti Cakes to your $1000 min order list.

Wow I thought Charm City Cakes had a $500 minimum.... icon_eek.gif
People have no idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%