Decorating By jlo6024 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm by cutthecake

jlo6024 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have directions how to do this with fondant/gumpaste? I need to make a cake for next weekend with this type of flowers and I'm not getting it right on my own. I unfortunately don't have Collette's book that has directions in it and hoped to avoid adding another book to my collection. Anyone?

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 11

Can you check out the books at a craft store - like Michale's?
It really is rather easy once you gett the strip cut. Just roll it around a toothpick or other such object. Then you pinch some of it into the shape you want. HTH

jlo6024 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 11

Well, I've read all the forums on it here tonight. I'll go to Micharl's tomorrow and check out some books on it. Thanks!!

cutthecake Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #4 of 11

I imagine it's similar to quillling with paper. Maybe you can search "paper quilling" on the internet.

ngfcake Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #5 of 11

I've never done it but I know you can make these figures with a sugargun using the ribbon disc. You have to knead your fondant very well and the texture should be like chewing gum. After you have your ribbon, use a fine brush and your fingers you make the forms you want. Let them dry before you place them on the cake. HTH

cutthecake Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 11

What is a sugargun?

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by gdlgdl

What is a sugargun?

A clay extruder basically, only used for fondant and gumpaste. I like the Makins green clay extruder but here's one from Global Sugar Art: http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20006 It's not my favorite though, tough on the wrists. The Makins one is a twist action.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 11

Here are some sites I found googling "fondant quilling":





Do you live anywhere near here, for classes? http://www.cakescandyandmore.com/

Best of luck to you...thanks for posing the question, I never thought of quilling for cakes. Great idea!!!

cutthecake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks, Bobwonderbuns. I thought it was something specifically for sugar work.

2muchsugar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #10 of 11

I'm not sure how fine you want the quilling, but I'll tell you how I do mine... If you want scroll-like quilling, I roll out the gumpaste (or fondant) about 1/8" thick and then cut it into strips 1/4" wide. Then, I use a plastic drinking straw to shape scrolls and let the strips dry on their sides.

I have also taken a quilling class where you roll out the gumpaste super thin (I'm talking petal thin), cut into thin strips and then use a quilling tool to create designs-- You can find quilling tools in craft stores (they're used for paper quilling).

You can check out my photos if you want to see an example.

Good luck!

cutthecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 11

I was just looking at a Wilton Yearbook from 2007 (or maybe 200icon_cool.gif, and there was quilling on a cake in there. The instructions were included. Have you tried their website for quilling tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%