High Altitude, Zero Humidity Problems

Decorating By Teknosugar

Teknosugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 1

Hi, I really need some Help!!! Especially anyone who lives in the high altitude desert. I have been making cakes for many years due the fact that my Dad is a baker, and makes the most gorgeous wedding cakes! But this is in England where he taught me and now my husband and I live In New Mexico and it doesn't seem to matter what I do.. Fondant is a nightmare in that 2 minutes after its in the bag (even before you open the bag or packet) it is dried out completely!
My husband and I have made a few wedding cakes for friends and family in the past few years, and we got our first request for a fondant cake, and although everyone said it was gorgeous there were so many cracks in the fondant I was pretty ashamed, and not even patching it looked great.

I have been told that Gum-Tex helps, but I haven't been able to find any instructions, and as its a powder I wonder how this will help. I have tried adding a little butter or oil but the Gum Paste dries back out so quick that making flowers has been really discouraging.javascript:emoticon('icon_cry.gif')

Any suggestions, would be great, and if there is anyone in the NM area who has been able to work this out I would love to hear from you!

Thanks! icon_cry.gif

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%