Pudding Filled Birthday Cake

Decorating By AJS2704 Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm by AJS2704

AJS2704 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJS2704 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a three tier cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday and I was wanting to put chocolate pudding as the filling. I am just afraid that if I use the pudding, the moisture in the pudding will make the cake soggy. Are there any ways to prevent that from happening (if that will happpen at all). Thank you ahead of time.

6 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know the correct answer, but if you can't find the answer in time, you could simply crumb coat the layers w/buttercream first to create a barrier between the pudding and the cake. Do a BC dam before adding the pudding, the dam would help ensure the layers don't slide around.

Of course you will probably get 100 answers saying this is not necessary thumbs_up.gif but at least you know it would work! icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 7

I just pudding quite often. I pipe a buttercream dam around the bottom layer and then fill. So far no problems and no soggy cakes reported. You could crumbcoat but I haven't had to because the pudding is thick.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #4 of 7

hi, ceshell and lorrieg, are both correct.... either way is agreat.... i use pudding filling all the time with a dam...... and the crumbcoat doesn,t sound bad either... hth

leahhawaii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahhawaii Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 7

How long can a cake with a pudding filling sit out? My friend wants a vanilla custard filling, but also expects the cake to sit out for the entire party (4+ hours). I havent come up with any non-dairy alternatives and am planning on just using BC unless anyone has an idea. Thanks!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:20am
post #6 of 7

I've never had a problem with the pudding making the cake soggy. Just use some bc to make a damn around the edge to keep it in and you should be ok. Once you ice it and decorate it, I've left it out for a couple of hours and it was fine. As long as it is not sitting in a really hot place -- you should be fine.

AJS2704 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJS2704 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for the replys. They have squashed the fears that I had.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%