Ribbon

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 7:05am by LadyMike

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 15

My bride picked a cake with ribbon around it. She wants buttercream icing only. I have never used real ribbon on a cake. Is there a special kind I need to buy? How do I keep it from getting greasy from the buttercream?

14 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 15

I used just regular ribbon to border the bottom of all the tiers. The ribbon never did get greasy, I set it up the day before the wedding and it still looked good by the time to cut the cake. I hope this helps a little.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 15

I always take the easy road... Spray the ribbon with Pam! That way, it's already greasy.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 15

I always cut a piece of parchment paper the length and width of my ribbon to place behind it on the cake to absorb any grease. HTH

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 15

Try getting waterproof ribbon, I think that should help with the buttercream frosting

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 15

I use wax paper the length and width of the ribbon and place it behind it.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #7 of 15

I have used ribbons on cake for several years, I don't do anything special and have not had any big issues.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #8 of 15

This is an all buttercream cake, including the ribbon. (except for the flowers, they were gumpaste). I used the the cake icer tip and just went around the tier after it was set up.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1257838.html

Jibbies

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #9 of 15

I also used regular ribbon for my dummy cake in my pics. I assembled it the night before and not a bit of grease was on the ribbon...I was actually surprised it worked so nicely!!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:39am
post #10 of 15

I think if your buttercream crusts, you won't have too much problem with seepage.

However, I always line my ribbon with clear packing tape and usually do put it on when I assemble the cake.

Here's the last one I did that way. This is cream cheese icing.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1123023

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 15

I use pkg tape as well....the only trouble I have had with that is the corners of squares, it just does not form well it is to stiff. I have also sprayed with pam and that works great just spray it and blot it off!! Even the best crusted BC I have found in Oklahoma humidity will cause the ribbon to spot. I'd rather be safe than sorry!
Just my opinion....
Laura

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 15

I must be the odd one, but I use it to my advantage. I place the ribbon on as soon as I put the icing on and before it has crusted. The wet icing acts as a glue that just makes the ribbon stick right to it. If there is any seepage it is all over and you can't even see it. I did this one that way:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254649

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 15

i'm interested in doing ribbon as well, i guess it depends on where you are geographically and weather? just see what's best for you

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 15

You can use waxed paper or double-sided tape. if youo're concerned about the corners, just cut the corner piece off, leaving a triangle. The doubled ribbon (where it folds) will be enough to that seepage won't show through to the form of the ribbon.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:05am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

I think if your buttercream crusts, you won't have too much problem with seepage.

However, I always line my ribbon with clear packing tape and usually do put it on when I assemble the cake.

Here's the last one I did that way. This is cream cheese icing.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1123023

Would you mind sharing your crusting cream cheese icing recipe? I can't mine to crust enough to smooth. TIA

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%