Cocoa Dusted Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By Mencked Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 11:38pm by sadiepix

Mencked Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 3

A bride called and would like a chocolate groom's cake dusted with cocoa powder. I can kind of picture it, but has anyone seen a cake like this or actually made one? I'd really like to see one and know how to do it. Thanks!

2 replies
DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds kind of disgusting to me since cocoa powder is not sweet. I suppose if you were to dust it onto a ganache covered cake, it would be like a giant truffle. icon_smile.gif

sadiepix Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 3

It's just like the dusting on top of tiramisu. The sweetness of the cake/icing plus the bitter taste of the cocoa go really well together.

If for some reason the person does not like the taste (though she asked, so I assume she does) it can be cut a little with powdered sugar, though it will lighten it a bit.

I love topping a cake with cocoa. You can just shake it on, or lay a stencil or paper doily on the cake and then dust over for a pretty design when you lift the stencil.

I think it tastes wonderful, but I like the combo of bitter and sweet very much. Most folks who like dark chocolate will probably like it as well.

Sorry no pics, but I am sure you can find some here or online somewhere.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%