Rose Buds

Decorating By cookiekisses Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm by KlyKat

cookiekisses Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 13

I am a self-taught baker and decorator. I took a class to boost my skills. The instructor taught me how to make full roses, which are stunning but she forgot to teach me the technique for buds--please help!!
Thanks

12 replies
AsburyArt Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiekisses

I am a self-taught baker and decorator. I took a class to boost my skills. The instructor taught me how to make full roses, which are stunning but she forgot to teach me the technique for buds--please help!!
Thanks

In what medium? BC, royal, gumpaste, fondant???

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 13

I've wondered about the BC rosebuds that are piped directly onto a cake. I can't figure those things out to save my life.

kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 13

The best hint there is about making rose buds right on a cake is to use tip 63. It's not available in many usual places (like Michael's) but you can order it directly from Wilton if you don't have any cake supply stores near by.

All you have to do is pipe a shell; add a caylex and WHALLA.......almost instant rose bud!

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 13

Geez, I'm really good at the buttercream rosebuds but I can't think of how I can explain how to do them and still make sense! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

jibbies Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #6 of 13

I am going to try to explain this technique.
With tip #104 touch the big end of the opening to the surface. Hold the bag at a 45 degree angle with the back of the bag pointing at your chest. Squeeze and at the same time push the tip forward about 1/2 of an inch. Stop. Place the tip just against the right side of the kinda v shaped icing shape you made. Without moving the bag, squeeze. The icing that comes out should just touch and catch the right side of the icing there and it will curl. Stop.
The best place to practice is on your countertop, practice and scrape off, wipe clean and try again.
Hope this helps.

Jibbies

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Geez, I'm really good at the buttercream rosebuds but I can't think of how I can explain how to do them and still make sense! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

I agree. I can whip 'em out in no time, and I used to say "they just form themselves". But when I taught a little girl cake decorating for her 4H project, I had to "teach" myself the steps involved, and had to figure out exactly the pressure and the almost-unnoticeable wrist/arm movements needed so these things can "form themselves", so I could explain to her how to make them.

It's easy to do ... but hard to explain. icon_confused.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 13

do you happen to make them like this? It's the only video I can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXYHO1_mdk&feature=related

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

no ... she makes an "S" rosebud. I made a "C", then tuck a reverse-C inside the first C, then sometimes add one more petal on the side. (See? TOLD you it was hard to explain!)

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:15am
post #10 of 13

Debi -

It's time to make you a YouTube Star.

I can't do the darn things, either, and I really need a visual on it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Peeg Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:03pm
post #11 of 13

Maybe wilton instructions will help you. It looks pretty easy to follow.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 13

See I do it differently. I won't explain it because it will just confuse the issue, but I will say that if you go to cakegenie.com and get her buttercream video, she has a good tutorial on the rosebud in the flowers video. I believe she's also a CC member, BCJean I think her name is. She also has an ebay store. Anyway, it's a great little video on buttercream flowers that might just help you.

KlyKat Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

no ... she makes an "S" rosebud. I made a "C", then tuck a reverse-C inside the first C, then sometimes add one more petal on the side. (See? TOLD you it was hard to explain!)

Indydebi---I understand what you are saying about the "C"...I also use a 103 or 104 rose tip and it's a side to side motion for me. Hold the tip at an angle with the bottom end of the tip touching the cake then right left right left then to the middle and a very slight pull down. Then with the leaf tip start at the base and make my leaf going upward.

Now, did any of that make sesne??? K'ly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%