Beach Sand ??

Decorating By sheila06 Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm by Juds2323

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 18

I am making a sandcastle wedding cake and have seen some cakes done with what looks like beach sand on them (not around the bottom but actually on the cake)..What is that or what can I use besides brown sugar to get that look of sand ?
Thanks

17 replies
jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 18

You can try finely crushed cookie crumbs. I used graham crackers for the dirt on a monster truck cake, or try vanilla wafers to get the right color of sand. Someone else may have more ideas.

Jo

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 18

brown sugar also, but I use graham crackers like Jo

leahhawaii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahhawaii Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #4 of 18

Try turbinado sugar... basically what comes in the "sugar in the raw" packets at Starbucks and such. It is supposed to be a healthier alternative to sugar, and therefore easier to find in small bags at grocery stores (with the baking supplies). If you live near Trader Joes, they have it there for sure. Good luck!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 18

I use a mixture of graham crackers and light brown sugar.

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #6 of 18

I use nilla wafers with alittle white sugar (not powdered sugar). Turns out perfect. I'm from Hawaii so that turned out the closest. I tried graham crackers and it wasn't the same as the sand in Hawaii, the closest is nilla wafers.

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 18

I like to use cinn. and sugar....to me its more like sand because its already so fine. I used it on a beach themed gingerbreadhouse...it looked pretty good to me.

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #8 of 18

I did a sandcastle wedding cake, I used Nilla wafers crushed in my food proc. I iced the cake in buttercream and but the nilla wafers on, pushed them in a little to secure them on. I drove about an hour away with no problems. The picture is in my photos. Good Luck....Shirl

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #9 of 18

I saw one on here that was flip flops and they said they used raw sugar. I thought it looked great. Just trying to remember who it was.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:00am
post #10 of 18

Raw sugar or Nilla wafers, crushed...

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:03am
post #11 of 18

P.S. thin thin layer of clear gel is good to hold most of it in place....doesn't seem to melt the sugar.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #12 of 18

Rice Krispies ground in a food processor... works great! I also mix them into fondant when I want the look of hard-packed sand.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #13 of 18

For my Hawaiian Bridal Shower cake, I think I used nilla wafers. Peacan Sandies also work well.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 18

I like crushed nilla wafers mixed with a little bid of gold sanding sugar (makes the sand sparkle just a little).

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks so much for all of the ideas.....the beaches here are so soft and white, they look like flour or powdered sugar but I know I can't use either of those things "on" the cake because they would blend in (not to mention who would want flour packed on the outside of their cake )....so i think I'll try the vanilla wafers....Thanks Again

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #16 of 18

Maybe you could use a sugar cookie mixed with the nilla wafers to make it a little lighter in color with still the the crumb effect of sand?

I had read a post before where they mixed nilla wafers with pecan sandies to get different textures, so maybe it would work with nilla wafers and sugar cookies for a lighter effect. I beleive they did a 2 to 1 ratio, with pecan sandies being less since they are a moister cookie. If you try it you might have to add more of one then the other.

Just another suggestion...

Shirl

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #17 of 18

I used crushed graham crackers on top of light brown RC.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 18

Here is one that I saved in watched topics...
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-382063.html

HTH

JUDI

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%